Source for small quantites of ECN2 devloper and or where to get CD3 developer?

I'm looking for a source on where to get ECN-2 developer and I

believe that CD3 is equivalent to ECN2. Trying to see if anyone has

any idea or leads.

I want to process my own motion picture 35mm stills. I have a Jobo

ATL machine that i want to use for it. I understand that the Rem-Jet

layer needs to be removed, I'm still uncertain whether or not it

will clog the machine. since the jobo just drains it into the sink.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

Wing

Contact fotokem in los angeles. I think they are the only lab here that'll touch the short

lengths for stills. They may have some source info but i doubt in small quantities like you

are searching for. RGB was the only place that specialized in it and they went under not

long ago. Email me if you get it figured out. I'v also got some old discontinued short

ends of several kodak stocks if you want any.

I'd recommend getting in touch with a motion picture lab that does high-volume work and see if you can buy some of their chems from them. They might be willing to sell you small amounts. As for your experiment, let me know how it goes. I'm considering offering this service using a modified C-41. Only problem is that I'm in Ohio, so I don't know how many people are willing to send their ECN so far. The only part of the process that is going to be difficult is the rem-jet removal. However, I have it on good authority that the REM can be removed AFTER processing. The only problem would be if you weren't using developer one-shot, in which case, some of the remjet would flake off after you dump the chemicals back out. This could probably be remedied rather easily through filtration.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

CD-3 is Kodak's complex developing agent usually used within color print developers (used for RA-4, for example). CD-4 is the developing agent I've seen used in C-41 equivalents. If the rem jet backing is to removed after processing as I used to do 20 years ago with Eastman 5247, then C-41 developer can be used with good success unmodified. It is not difficult to remove the rem -jet backing. I used to use a sponge after a wash soak with the film stretched out and then wash again. It was somewhat messy but worked OK. I used up my 100ft bulk roll and haven't used that kind of film since. It is possible that the rem-jet characteristics have changed, but I doubt it.

CD-3 is one component of the ECN-2 developer. There are many other components: NaBr, KI, Na2SO3 (or equivalent), and some others.

REM JET is a real problem for processors not designed for it. I'm not that familiar with the JOBO. If the agitation in the developer is low enough, the REM JET backing MIGHT stay intact until the end of the process, but I wouldn't count on it. The developer will dissolve the binder (cellulose acetate phthalate). ANY agitation will cause this material to come off the back and float in the developer. If this happens, much of it will end up stuck on the emulsion side of the film where it is impossible to remove. I've seen this happen. It is not pretty.

Thanks alot for all your responses. From what i have read from here and other boards, it seems nearly impossible to get ecn2 developer in small quantites. I guess i'll try the two local motion picture labs here.

I read on another board that if you use mix in a drop of sulfuric acid in the stop bath, it will remove most of the carbon backing.

Thanks

Wing