was pretty bad.

I thought this might help travelers take a sneak peek at a region

before visiting.

http://maps.google.com/

Find a location with the map, then switch to the "Satellite" view in

the upper right (it says "new"). My roommate said the photos are

probably a little outdated for security reasons, but otherwise it is

awesome.

Sorry, I can never remember how to make the link active.

Have fun!

Pretty cool Gloria thanks I can tell you based on the construction shown around my house the sataellite map for Silverton, Oregon is no more then 1 year old. The sidewalk they poured across the street last summer is quite clear.

Ya know, not to belittle Google or anything (or the original poster), and it is a good service, but I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal about this. <A HREF="http://terraserver.microsoft.com/">Terraserver</A> (the Microsoft/USGS one, not the commercial one) has been doing it for at least a decade now, and with higher resolution/aerial (not just satellite) images.

Link to above: <A HREF="http://maps.google.com/">Google Maps</A>

Another good resource for this sort of thing is your local County website. In addition to the aerial photography, their online database usually includes all sorts of property information (owner, taxes, land area, improvement value, etc.)

That's really neat, thanks Gloria! What I really like about the google interface is the ability to drag the map around with the left mouse button. Zoom out and scan the world (west coast of Canada looks beautiful). Zoom in and we found our house pretty easily via the roads and other landmarks. :)

Chris, I think the main advantage of Google's map software is how quickly you can move the view around and zoom in or out. Also, I've noticed Terraserver can have aful detail in some places, but I have to say I'm impressed with the amount of detail that's available on these maps. I checked out my old neighborhood in Sieera Vista, Arizona, and I can see the horseshoe pits I put into my back yard.

Gloria,<p>

It IS cool! Did you know that one of the companies that provides these pictures to

Google, CNN, etc, is Digital Globe, and is in Longmont? The greater Boulder area is

amazingly "high-tech!" Multiple, commercial satellite oriented companies are in

Colorado. Then there is the spectacular sites like the National Park, hiking & biking

trails etc. - all on the maps! Neat stuff! BTW: That wasn't you looking up & waving was

it? :-)

Took a look at Boulder to see the Flatiron Mountains from above, then went north to see check out Fort Collins, where I went to school and lived for a coupld years. What happened to the water in Horsetooth Resevoir? They must have taken the sat photo during a dry spell.

Roaming around the map is an education. :)

Several years ago (I was still using a 90MHz Pentium 1 with Win95, just to give you an idea of how long ago) I found some excellent satellite maps on the national weather service site. I downloaded one of our lakefront to use as wallpaper on our PC screen. It was so detailed you could see the knots in the pine decking.

These were declassified but fairly recent (as of that time). I've heard folks claim they've stumbled across accidentally declassified spy satellite shots that show infrared traces of people and animals inside homes and other buildings, etc. Supposedly there's been a crackdown on security but I've heard that certain agencies (notably NASA and the weather services) aren't particularly good at security and occasionally some interesting stuff can still be found that probably should be classified.

What would really be interesting would be satellite photos related to wildlife migration and population. That could enable us to better plan our trips without having to resort to expensive guides, etc. For example, it would be nice to better know the areas on public grasslands in which a particular species of prairie chicken is rambling around.