Just curious...

This does not directly address the issue, but here's two cents' worth of my thoughts.

I like running through the photographs on the critique forum, putting circles in dots which I try to do with uniformity (i.e. give out the same number of 1's as 7's as 4's, etc). This allows me to scan lots of images so that I can learn what works and what doesn't, and I can give a small feedback to the photographer about whether I think it has worked or not. I comment on about one in a hundred when I feel a photograph is particularly good or doesn't work for a specific reason.

However, I know that it upsets many people to get low ratings from anonymous people, and I for one would at least like to be accountable for my actions. Is it possible that dots-in-circles could be done non-anonymously, so that a photographer can come back and ask for an explanation for the rating he has been given?

In general, I think it might be better if there is more connection between ratings and critiques, so you can see who said what and gave what.

Cheers,

Dale

Many viewer are used to skip any photo they either don't understand, don't get excited, or fail to keep their eyes open without clicking the "skip" button. Although they used to do that with 4/4s, somehow "the collective wisdom" has come to the decision on making it even harsher with 3/3s. Some agree that ignoring could be the ultimate solution to this no solution, and as an amateur, I have found it not really so difficult to learn to accept that to some my stuff is only worth 3/3s, and turn to focus on those precious comments. But please, show some respect to these top photographers, for their works not only inspire others but also keep this site on the lead, especially when they are challenging themselves and showing some avant-garde, experimental works in front of us. It is true that not all breakthroughs are so appealing, especially those still on the immature stage, but why cannot people learn to respect those they don�t understand and just click the �skip� button but give 3/3s (and possibly more automatically discarded 1/1s and 2/2s)?

If you are talking about the Peony photo, it would seem that the 7/5 rating is the outlier, and that there isn't a huge disparity in ratings, especially on Originality where everyone more or less agrees that the photo isn't that original. The Aesthetics scores vary more. There will always be outliers. Who knows why the 7/5 rater gave such a high score on Aesthetics? Maybe he likes red and green.