UltraFine Developers Any one using?

I just would like to know if anyone using UltraFine developers. I'm

mostly interested in film developer. Right now I'm using HC-110,

TMax and Gamma Plus. What I want to know for the amount of 1 gallon

can make 5 gallons;-) could be a good thing for the price of $10.95.

What I would like to know how dose this stuff stand up to HC-110,

TMax or is it more like D76. I will be using it at 75 degrees like

all my other developers because I like the very fast time and I do

have a auto film processor sidkick that dose a great job that I'm

happy with. Any info would be great. Thanks.

http://ultrafineonline.com/ulbwphchlico.html

The MSDS for this developer lists hydroquinone, phenidone, and sodium sulfite as active

ingredients. This would make it similar to Crawley's FX-19, itself a variant of D76/ID11 with

phenidone substituting for metol.

It should be a good all-purpose developer. If the price is right, why not give it a try? I see that

it costs about $2/gal working solution, whereas the powdered form is about $4; be careful

that your savings isn't eaten up by the additional postage required to ship water.

as Michael said, depending on your proximity to CA, the shipping might ruin the deal. being on the east coast myself, i opt for their powder film developer. on my receipt, it's listed as "ultrafine 76". so, probably same or similar to D76.

I tried it recently. Our local highstreet store was going out ofbusiness and gave me a load of darkroom stuff. I found it easy to use but grainy compared to Xtol 1+1 or PMK my usual soups. Expensive as well in comparison so I found little use for it. Got a part used bottle if you want to pay the postage!

I haven't heard of this stuff. I'm a little distrustful, because I didn't like the statement about it being phenidone based for fine grain. Your HC-110 and TMax developers are already phenidone-based. Phenidone doesn't ensure fine grain. The sodium sulfite content will produce fine grain if present in sufficient quantity: about 100 grams per liter. Below around 80 grams per liter, it will still act as a preservative, but not encourage fine grain all that much.

I would be guided by Ivan's report. He may have saved you the trouble.

Rothelle, sorry I've just clicked on your link. Like another poster I thought you were talking about the long established film developer made by Tetanol called Ultrafine. This is what I am reporting use of. No idea about the one you are asking about (assuming it is different).

The Ultrafine is good, and with my testing I found it to be adequate... but be aware... it is like D76 and HC110 as far as the grain goes. IOW, it is only the name that implies "Ultra fine". If your looking for ultra fine grain developers, there are many other better choices.