Kodak Discontinues B&W Paper

Expect this kind of thing to keep happening. Eventually, you will probably order ALL your analog supplies over the internet from a number of "boutique" manufacturers/suppliers. The service is not too bad, but it does spell the end of 'face to face' deals and a friendly chat, which I will miss.

There are number of excellent materials, film and paper, out there that are not sourced from the "big guys." We will just get used to them, along with maybe different chemistry.

A change is as good as a holiday! :-))

Bye, Kodak... make lotsa money in digi-world. Thanks for the boost for the smaller companies who are actually committed to black & white film photography.

BTW, did anybody actually still use Kodak paper?

I only feel badly for the many Tr-X users out there because you just know Kodak's gonna eventually pull the plug on the film lines too if they're so committed to transitioning to digital. But... this helps the smaller companies tremendously... companies that, because of their size, are in a better position to cater to a niche market. Kodak going digital is a big boost for them IMO.

Actually, almost no "people" use any kind of photo paper at all anymore; most paper is used by labs, and labs use color paper, not B&W paper.

Lots of labs use Kodak color paper in their automated machines, which is probably why Kodak has been moving steadily towards integrating chromogenic mono films into their pro line, so that they can sell color materials to reliable, high-volume buyers.

The market for direct sales of photo paper to "people" has been getting smaller & smaller for quite a while - which is why this announcement is great news for B&W enthusiasts. With Kodak and presumably Agfa out of the market, the (small) market for "do it yourself" B&W materials will be dominated by Ilford, which will hopefully be able to make a good living selling their excellent materials.

While I don't use Kodak paper, I do find this news discouraging. I do use HIE Infrared and Xtol. I have also been planning to use Tri-X developed in Diafine as I understand it will get a two stop push (i.e. you can shoot in at 1600) without excessive grain and contrast. HIE is unique and the Tri-X Diafine combo is I think unique as well. Obviously Kodak has no committment to black and white and I guess I can expect to see the whole product line disappear.

Bob, as a user of the excellent Ilford papers and I know what you mean by "great news."

But it can't be great news to lose the excellent Agfa Multicontrast FB paper or the great APX 100 film.

Financial stability for smaller companies, good.

Fewer choices for photographers, not so good.

In a post of Frank's a few days ago I said I would not post in his his threads again.

Now he is popping up everywhere I think I should say I am not going to join in any post (even ones I have started myself) after he has 'contributed' to them.

I guess something like this is Frank's ambition but I don't care.

It is better I do this than say what I really think. (Would get me banned)

For many of these manufactured items (like paper and film) we should look towards other sources rather than North American makers. I expect that there is sufficient demand that a manufacturing giants (like China) will begin producing more film and paper.

We might have to get used to manufacturers with unfamiliar names but who make a quality product.

Many years ago when I first started darkroom work I used Kodak Medalist. It was warmer than Kodabromide and was quite pleasing. Then they dropped it so I went to Agfa Bovira. When I could no longer find Bovira it was over to Ilford Gallerie. Lets hope that graded Gallerie fiber paper remains in production.