straighten me out on this. I was experimenting with the shutter

priority mode, had the shutter speed at 1/8000 (forgot the aperture

setting) and these came out badly underexposed. I'm trying to figure

out how to work this because I want to be able to do more than use

the basic Automatic or Sports vari programs. I paid good cash for the

camera and would like to actually 'learn' how to use it. Everything I

take in the S or A priority modes comes out like this or worse. Any

help? Greatly appreciate it.

I'm still quite the amateur myself (should've written it in caps to realllly emphasize that aspect) but I'll take a shot at an answer. My first guess is that 1/8000 is way too fast for a nighttime ball game. Do you remember what ISO you shot at? (try higher ISO's next time like 800 or more if you didn't already) Also, what lens do you use? No idea on your knowledge level, so forgive any obvious advice I'd give, but looks like you used a zoom at a fairly long focal length. And unless it was a reallly good zoom, it probably only opens up to 5.6 at best.

p.s., if this was a daytime game, then you might be in trouble. 1/8000 is still very fast (ie: not much light getting to the sensor) though, so if it was daylight try a few more shots at 1/500 or 1/1000 & see what you get (maybe a little blur from the action, but a whole lot better exposure I'd guess)

Your camera appears to be working just fine, the operator has a thing or two to learn however. Unless you have a very high iso set 1/8000 is *WAY* to fast of a shutter speed. You rarely if ever need that fast of a shutter speed in normal photography. The camera was not able to open the aperture enough to get a proper exposure. If you pay attention to the display in the viewfinder I am sure it was telling you that it was badly underexposed.

As a start, take the camera inone hand and the manual in the other and read it, slowly and carefully. Make sure you understand the viewfinder displays. Don't use the dummy auto modes but do use the P mode and make yourself note the shutter and aperture the camera selects before you take the photo. This will give you some idea of what typical settings are. Good luck!

Get Understanding Exposure and read your camera's manual front to back with the same fervor a pseudo-intellectual reads the Da Vinci Code.

Another good book is the National Geographic Photography Field Guide. Learn your camera, we can't help you; you have to find the drive for yourself to make your photos better.

John, I shoot quite a few sports photos also and instead of using shutter priority I always use aperature priority and open the lens as wide as it will go and take whatever shutter speed that gives me. I am only concerned that my subject is in focus and so a shallow depth of field is not a problem. I have had good results on overcast to sunny days and I am using a cheap 70-300 f4-5.6G zoom on a D70. I am taking pictures of high school lacrosse and have been able to get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze all action, including a ball in motion. With a lens that slow, however, there is a point (lightwise) where you just won't be able to get proper exposure. I am a rank amateur however and have only had the D70 for 5 months so take anything I say with a grain of salt!

You could find a old broken light meter: it will show shutter speeds and f-stops.

Something like:

1/250 ____ 1/500 ____ 1/1000 ___ 1/2000 ___ 1/4000 ___ 1/8000

_f16 _____ f11 _______ f8 _______f5.6 _______f4 _______f2.8 (or f3.5)

If you get to 1/8000th of a second, you need a lens that will open to f2.8. Digital or film, the basics of how much light is needed remains about the same.

You may be on your way to spending a lot more 'hard cash' for a decent lens....

I suggest that you stop trying to be clever and forget about manual overides until you have read the books and know what you are doing.

I've been doing photography for sixty years and I am not ashamed to state that I am quite happy to use P or A most of the time ... messing with manual is something I left behind with film thanks to the wonderful tool the genius's in Asia have provided me with. I use manual when it is needed .... perhaps 5% of the time or less.

It is quite common for folk changing from auto to manual to find their work suffers .. simply becuase the cameras usually knows better than the less knowledgable human :-)

ONLY read when you're ready too. I'm plowing through photography magazines by the boat load because "I" want to (not sure if my wife wants me too but...), but there were many months & years where I didn't really want to, but felt like I should...and never REALLY understood what I was reading (especially regarding exposure). What WILL really help is practice practice practice. Read the camera manual so that you can see when the camera tells you something's not a good idea (shutter or apeture priority should tell you in the view finder when the other variable is unatainable @ the 1/2 you've chosen), and then experiment away. (part of the magic of digital. Shoot all day long for free). Don't be afraid to put it on "P" when you think it's a shot you'll want to keep, but pay close attention to what settings the camera chooses. I'd also agree with one of the previous comments on choosing apeture priority (the way I usually shoot). Open it up to 4 or 5 or whatever the widest setting is when it's low light conditions, and progressively shut it down to 11 or more when it's bright or when you have a tripod and a subject that isn't moving. Good luck. Don't give up, it gets easier

Jeff and JC

How right you are on all counts. I was beginning to question my abilities there, and your comments put things in perspective. I've had lots of helpful feedback from all who've responded. I've been at the digital game for less than two years, and with a new D70 understand that I'm dealing with something I'm not used to. I'll continue to shoot in Sports mode until I am confident enough, and have had enough practice in the other modes. Until then, I will read the manual and experiment.

Using shutter priority, you can set the shutter speed to whatever you want, regardless if the camera can select an appropriate aperture to compensate. For now, try setting the camera to P mode and spin the thumb dial until you get the shutter speed/aperture combination you want. This will let you adjust but won't let you get outside of the metered exposure.