file size

grillot

Smaller file sizes have more chance of attracting critiques from those on dial up, so it's still worth the effort trying to keep them under - if not 100 kb, say 200 kb.<p>

I have also observed the upsizing trend : I clicked on a Large version of an upload the other week and was presented with a 9 Mb monster....almost big enough to sell.

I discovered to my horror last night that many of the pictures I've submitted exceed the recommended file size. I'm a relatively new user of PS and I'm just coming to understand resizing issues. Plus, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Is there any way to replace the photos in my portfolio that are oversized with versions that are not without losing the comments and ratings? In other words, I don't want to delete all the existing images and then submit new posts. I'll appreciate any suggestions on how I should handle this oversight.

Jim, open a photo and you'll see "Options" at the lower left; click on "options" and choose "Edit Image Info". Then upload the new photo to replace the existing one.

Swapping photos for size reason is no big deal. However, I'd try to avoid swapping photos with drastically modified ones so that the critiques received don't make sense anymore.

I ran into trouble with over-sizes when I would size the photo for web THEN add layers to create a boarder.. so now the last think I do after creating the boarders (sometimes with 2-3 additional layers) is in PS use "save for web" -- then choose an image size in pixels and then choose a quality that ends up around 100K.