210mm MC 5.6 CaltarII-N

geert_de_keyser1

First of all, let me also state my thanx to you all for making my step up to LF

a little bit smoother. I have bought a second hand lens, the 210mm MC 5.6

CaltarII-N. I understand the focal length and the 5.6 aperture. The MC stands

for multicoated I gather so that is a good thing. What I don't understand is the

CaltarII-N. Isn't this a Rodenstock lens but why the Caltar monniker? And what

with the II-N? Does anybody have any additional info on this lens? Image circle,

angle of view, etc? How does it compare to modern Schneider lenses? Anything is

welcome!

Caltar is the private label of Calumet, a US retailer. They sell the lens under their brand name for a bit less than the lens sells under the Rodenstock name. The "II-N" is the series name, which is equivalent to the "Apo-Sironar-N" series. If you compare the specs such as coverage and filter size for the Caltar II-N series of lenses to the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N lenses, you will find them identical. It is such as open secret that the current Caltars are Rodenstocks that it isn't a secret. If I remember correctly, the serial numbers of the Rodenstock Caltars even follow the Rodenstock progression, so you can date your lens from the Rodenstock serial number vs date table. Older Caltars were other brands.

You can download the information about your lens (in the Rodenstock guise) at http://www.linos-photonics.com/en/prod/apo-sironar-n.php

Actually, Calumet's webpage now lists the Caltar LF lenses under the Rodenstock brand name. Previously there was no publication by Calumet of the connection, though people say they would tell you over the phone. Maybe their agreement with Rodenstock has changed?

So the Calumet Rodenstock lens page lists a Rodenstock Caltar II-N 210 mm lens for $760 and a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210 mm lens for $910.

The term "II-N" isn't exactly synomous with "Apo-Sironar-N" since Calumet also uses it for some "Grandagon-N" lenses like the 90 mm f6.8, but you can always distinguish these cases by the focal length. When the focal length isn't enough, they use a different designation: the 150 mm f6.3 and 210 mm f6.8 Geronars are sold by Calumet as the "II-E" lenses. I'm not sure whether the Geronars are available new under the Rodenstock name anymore -- this may be the only source.

Ellis, read what I wrote: "Calumet's webpage now lists the Caltar LF lenses under the Rodenstock brand name." If you go to their list of Rodenstock lenses, you will find some Caltar LF lenses listed for sale. They are not listed under the Caltar category, which is confusing. How could I have quoted a current price for a Caltar lens if they are no longer sold?

They have long sold both Caltar and Rodenstock lenses, along with other brands. What is new is that they are publically labeling the Caltar lenses as Rodenstock lenses.

I don't have a Caltar lens, but I do have the Rodenstock lens. If indeed they are the same,

then the Caltar is simply better value for the buck. The lens is designed for subjects at a

distance, such as landscapes. You will not be able to get a better image with a Schneider

lens because the lenses of both companies typically outperform colour film.

In short, don't worry, be happy!

Gerald