haziness charm

my first zorki 1c came with an Industar 50,and i was kinda

dissapointed when i tested teh camera;i mean the body was excellent

(shutter and stuff very OK)...The lens was scratched and hazy...

however,i decided to ruin a roll just to see HOW c*appy could the

results be.And here are a few results...definitely no summitar:-

))...but i kinda come to love the eerie feeling of this haziness.I

now have a brand "old new" Industar 50 and the results are as

expected:sharp and neat...but somehow my first lens gave an air

of "je ne sais quoi"to my pics...oh well :-)) i kept it and someday

when i get bored of these sharp images,i will take the little

russian to a walk:-)

anyone sharing?

regards<div>00CEal-23585484.jpg.3f1fb16b58c856e25d04e9060b91b603.jpg</div>

one thing i noticed,perhaps someone could explain it to me:why and how the DOF is affected by the sharpness(or lack of it thereof)of the lens used in one given camera(i mean the same,if one is making an experiment)?

i mean i guess why,but i cannot figure how...

two examples below<div>00CEbL-23585984.jpg.8e52e1a5ffc6e2611e70a1781f1e901e.jpg</div>

I think you are imagining DoF issues. There are simply too many other factors: different subject, different distance, hand-holding, etc.

<p>I don't know how different the I-50 is, but Matt Denton has some step by step I-26 and I-61 service instructions <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/photo/cameras/industar_relubing/">HERE.</a>

<p>I don't have a Leica thread mount Soviet camera so I've never worked on one, though on many Jupiter lenses in Kiev mount.

Haziness decreases sharpness, and so your eye reads that haziness as a decrease in the depth of field. Same thing happens when you take a fuzzy scan and apply unsharp masking to the image - suddenly the depth of field increases. The application of contrast, which often heightens the eye's ability to resolve edges of things, also will increase the perception of depth of field. A fuzzy figure standing in front of a fuzzy gray field looks like someone in (as in not separate from) a fog. A white figure, sharply cut out, standing in front of a flat black field, looks like someone standing before a void.

mike

i guess my question was a bit unclear...i was asking if,how and why the sharpness of a lens determines the DOF...i know what that is(dof)

i know that the field is determined by such factors as you have kindly reminded me,but i was asking if among these factors,is one related to sharpness.

anyway,thank you all for replying

best regards