the focal length of the lens. If, however, there is an "M" above

the word "zoom" on the LCD, then the zoom is in manual mode. No

matter what I do, I cannot change the zoom from manual mode. The

manual says to press a particular button (looks like it has three

trees on it)"several" times, but no matter how many times I press

the button the "M" does not go away. I tried turning the camera and

flash off and then turning them back on, but that also does not

work. Can anyone help?

iTTL was first introduced along with the D2H back in July, 2003, and the SB-800 was introduced at the same time. When you use the SB-800 on an older body such as the D100 (2002), it drops back to DTTL for the early DSLRs. If you use a zoom lens on the D100, it should still be able to drive the zoom head on the SB-800 as well as on the SB-80 DX.

Anna, I believe you're referring to two different matters here: 1) zoom feature which corresponds to the focal length of mounted lens, provided you are using an autofocus lens and 2) shooting mode (in your case 'M' for Manual vs. TTL, A, etc.), all of which have no bearing on zoom as they merely dictate how much light is emitted and the means of metering it.

The <Mode> button dictates whether you shoot in <M>, <TTL>, <A>, etc. The 'trees' buttons adjust the zoom feature. If the zoom feature isn't responding have a gander at the manual to see about turning that feature back on in case it was inadvertently turned off. Also make sure you don't have the *removeable* diffuser mounted as it depresses a lever on the underside of the head which automatically sets the zoom to 14mm. Pushing the 'tree' buttons will not affect the zoom w/ the detachable diffuser mounted.

If the *retractable* diffuser is pulled-out from the head, the flash automatically zooms to 17mm. Make sure it is fully retracted into the head. The 'tree' buttons permit either 14mm or 17mm when the retractable diffuser is deployed.

Are you using an AF lens which will 'tell' the flash where to set the zoom setting? Let us know how you do.

You guys are awesome - I can't wait to go home tonight to: 1) deal with the diffuser and 2) try resetting to default. I just can't believe how you all responded so quickly. Thank you for being willing to share your knowledge. I will let you know how I make out!

Thanks again!

Anna

• 7 years later...
<p>Am working with this now... seems when you have the Nikon "sto-fen" on the flash, it won't zoom with a zoom lens. Remove the sto-fen, and the SB-800 now zooms. I reset my flash. Pulled out the built-in diffuser as suggested, and the flash began zooming with the zoom lens. Cool! Put the stofen back on the flash, no flash zoom. Oh, well. At least now I know.</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

You could try cutting a piece of cardboard to fit in the diffuser slot. Push the remainder of the diffuser back with the cardboard (or maybe a lollipop stick), and it should reset the switch that tells the flash the diffuser is pulled out.

In any case, the flash beam won't actually be diffused if the diffuser is broken off. It'll have a 24mm or whatever angle of coverage with a corresponding slightly lower light output. So just use the flash as normal. The "zoom" function makes very little difference to the coverage angle anyway IME.

Incidentally, your post might get more attention as a new thread, rather than tacked onto the bottom of a 9 year old one!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Thank you for this helpful info!! My problem is that my diffuser broke off so now it won't change other than 14mm to 17mm. Is there any way I can compensate for this until I get it fixed?

There is a custom setting for that. See pages 67 and 117 of the SB-800 manual for a custom setting to work around the problem until it is fixed.

Edited by bgelfand

I am trying to learn more about my SB800, as I can't seem to get

flash just right. I use it with a Nikon D100. According to the

manual, the SB 800 should automatically set the zoom according to

the focal length of the lens. If, however, there is an "M" above

the word "zoom" on the LCD, then the zoom is in manual mode. No

matter what I do, I cannot change the zoom from manual mode. The

manual says to press a particular button (looks like it has three

trees on it)"several" times, but no matter how many times I press

the button the "M" does not go away. I tried turning the camera and

flash off and then turning them back on, but that also does not

work. Can anyone help?

Se page 68 of the SB800 manual (English version) for instructions to enter custom setting mode. See page 70 of the manual for Power Zoom Function.

The "three trees" is the down arrow, used to select the function then press the SEL button to select the function.

Ha ha!

I think the writer(s) of Nikon's SB-800 manual must have a sense of humour.

The "custom settings menu" section on p.67 refers you to page 117, where you're referred right back to page 67 again. Priceless!

From the manual:

"When the wide-flash adapter is broken off, it is no longer possible to set the zoom-head position to other than 14mm or 17mm. To adjust the zoom-head position, go to the Custom Settings “Zoom-head position setting if the built-in wide-flash adapter is broken off accidentally” (p. 67).

Well, that's not true. Because if the diffuser is broken off it's impossible to set the coverage to 14 or 17mm. The widest coverage remains at 24mm without the additional diffuser in place.

I presume that the "broken diffuser" custom setting allows you to override the diffuser detection switch, but that's not made clear in the manual at all.

Maybe it would have been better to make the diffuser from a less brittle material, rather than add a menu setting specifically for when it gets broken?