ACR sharpening or CS2?

andrew_hull

Sharpening should be one of the last steps in preparing a file at the final print size, after resampling. The degree of sharpening should be appropriate to the degree of enlargement and the pixel dimensions. This obviously precludes sharpening in ACR, which is step one in the work flow.

Actually, some knowledgeable people sharpen a little in ACR or Photoshop to offset the diffusion effect of the anti-aliasing filter, then sharpen the print file to a much larger extent. Sharpening is like using the spice, Thyme. If you know it's there, you've used too much.

By all means read the articles Dan linked to, especially the second one. West Coast Imaging also has a useful article on their site.

As to ACR's "super-crude" sharpening tool, I used to do my (very mild) capture sharpening in PS with Smart Sharpen. I accepted Bruce Fraser's comment that ACR's sharpening was "a blunt instrument." Then I read Peter Krogh's _The DAM Book_, in which he suggests that ACR's sharpening is much more sophisticated than that single slider would lead one to believe and is customized to different camera makes. I did a little more online reading and then some experiments to compare ACR's sharpening at 25 with Smart Sharpen, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results from ACR. On some images they were plainly better -- sharper and more natural looking with fewer artifacts when viewed at 100%.