can you do multiple exposures on the 5D ?

andrewmoore

I'm not sure that I do know, but I think you are referring to panorama stitching of images. I can't think of any camera that actually does the stitching in camera, though several P&S models offer a mode with a framing aid. The computing involved in getting a good stitch is considerable. For a DSLR, there are other aids - a tripod and special head being a starting point. Take a look at this site for more:

http://www.panoguide.com/

My old Canon G2 did a fantastic panorama system with the exposure and in camera framing. You still needed a program to actually stich the frames together however.

I struggle now with my 20D to get the same effect, as with most SLRs getting the framing and exposure right needs a lot more effort. If you want to take multiple exposure of the sort you mention then you will not get it with an SLR.

Except for the minor advantage of card space there is no reason to do mltiple exposures in camera rather than digitally.

You can do superb panoramas with a digital SLR. You should of course use M mode to ensure that exposures remain constant. Ideally you want to ensure that the lens rotates around the nodal point using some form of panorama bracket or nodal slider.

Compositing the images in Photoshop is possible but other software (panorama tools + enblend) does it much better.

For panoramas I recommend trying autostitch - a free download and a fantastic job done of compositing the images. Unfortunately it only works on JPEGS but its really simple to use and does a better job than any other software I've used for creating panoramas.

R Jackson , may 07, 2006; 07:50 p.m. said:

<<The Nikon D200 is the only digital camera I'm aware of that allows in-camera multiple

exposures.>>

I can't be sure, but I believe the Pentax *ist D was touted as doing multiple exposures, and

maybe the DS, as well.... but it's been a long time (anybody want some spare Pentax A-

series lenses?) ;-)

-Jon

WOW !

SCOTT THANKS !

the black card idea works ! well done ! thankyou so much.. takes a bit of practice but yes similar effect !

and yes i meant exposures like the eos 3 does. and not panarama.

cheers for all your comments ppl :)

• 3 years later...