How do I tell it's a genuine B+W?

leorossi

Here I am again with my posts about filters. I recently purchased for

a very low sum a top-pol (polarizer) 52E linear filter by B+W on

ebay. I'm not much familiar with B+Ws as opposed to Hoyas and I

noticed this particular specimen doesn't have the B+W logo on the

exterior metal rib - it just reads "B+W 52E TOP-POL" on the inner

ext. ring in small white print. Is this an indication of anything

suspicious, or just an indication of paranoia on my part? Thank you.

I've never heard of fake B+W filters, but it's not impossible.

Also, I've two B+W filters, but their construction is different; one has text in the inner and outer ring, the other only on the outer.

Is the ring made of brass? That's a good indication it's a genuine B+W.

No B+W filters have the designation on the outside of the ring. It's only printed on that inside retainer ring, as yours is. Many of us have wished they would put the designation on the outside, because it would make life a lot easier for those of us who keep our filters screwed together with stack caps, but alas...

All my Nikon 52mm filters for B&W or Color are marked on the outside; and are in a stack. Most were bought in the 1960's thru 1970's. I have also Vivitar; Hoya; Tiffen; Harrison; Ednalite;Soligor; and Kodak filters that are marked on the edge; the logical place they should be marked.

Mark: I'm relieved to hear that. I was asking, though, merely because I ran into many pictures on ebay of B+W filters with the B+W logo on the outside ring, and sometimes with the designation 'made in Germany'.

I thought these were filters for black & white photography up to one month ago, when my personal curiosity was stirred by an Italian retailer saying I might have to pay 700 euros for one (about $850.00!!). He was wrong of course.

It took me a bit of web-searching to understand B+W stood for an acronym of an old optics house which had made a merger with Schneider's in the past. I guess many people's fascination with this make (including mine, as recent as it may be) may stem in part from this rather mistifying detail.

I too bought 2 B+W branded filters off eBay.

I am not sure if mine is true or not.

On the outside it says, B+W F-PRO MADE IN GERMANY.

On the front inside, it says what filter is it etc.. like 102 series... ND 4x ..... ... .....

It has a good box and good brass like feel and looks overall quite authentic. It was bought from a seller who has 99% +ve feedback. He however was from China (his ebay profile), when he sent it to me, he sent me a generic step up ring from China and from Toronto or somewhere in east Canada he sent me 2 ND B+W filters and 1 B+W step up ring.

What I can say is that I got a Nikon Cir Pol II filter from a guy on eBay in HK, a diff seller. His Nikon filter was more color neutral than my 2 stop ND B+W filter. The other, 6 stop B+W filter had a relatively strong red/yellow cast on it. I emailed samples to Thom Hogan and he wasn't surprised saying they are not totally neutral but maybe he is a little bit surprised for a B+W brand.

My prev thread on this with sample pix:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00An4f

FYI

There are B+W knock offs floating around street markets in Asia for over 10 years. I have seen them. The fact that they made it to ebay does not surprise me.

Filter is very easy to knock off as opoosed to real camera or lens.

Usually built and packaging quality are giveaways.

I bought a B+W ND106 (6 stop ND) from what is likely the same ebay seller in china that we're all talking about. I closely examined the packaging and filter in comparison to a B+W ND filter I picked up from a local authorized distributor - they look indentical to me. I've done shots with it and not noticed the colour shift but it was sunset. B+W's own literature says its not neutral though.

Either way, if its a knock off its the best i've ever seen. I suspect more they just get them legitimately in bulk from somewhere and sell 'em to the masses.

Just to set the record straight, while I'm sure I recognized the Chinese seller being mentioned, in my case the filter has been bought used by an individual in Europe. I had no way of checking out packaging etc.. This of course doesn't diminish the validity of any of the points being made.

• 1 year later...
  • 17 years later...