I'm planning a few days in Rome end of next October, and I'm taking

just my M7 + 35/2. Film speed, though? Can anyone advise me on

light levels there that time of year? I'm wondering if Fuji NPC 160

will be sufficient for colour neg, or whether I ought to go with

(Fuji)NPH400 or even NPZ800. A few indoor shots, churches, etc. plus

outdoors mainly daytime.

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael: I've taken to using the Fuji NPZ800 (rated @ 650) and have found that I have the latitude to cover everything from broad daylight @ 1/1000 sec with my IIIa at f11-16 right down to night time streetlight at 1/4 sec at Summitar full aperture of f2. So for interior shots in Rome's many beautiful buildings you'll have no problems. Don't forget to marvel at the interior of the Pantheon! Admittedly at the end of October it will be getting cooler at night but I have seen musical events taking place earlier in the year on the Spanish Steps late at night and the 800, and even 1600 (rated at 1200) would serve you well in that situation. Best, David

Are you taking a light tripod with you? It might be worthwhile if you're doing any interior architecture shooting.

Also, have u considered using slide films? I'm not sure what you post-processing workflow is like but if you intend to scan them, my own scans from slides tend to be consistently coming out better than negs.

Peter, David: thanks for these. I'm wanting to avoid the risk of stocking up with 800 film if I find myself outdoors daytime almost always shooting at 1/1000 at f16. Just glad of a broad idea of light levels that much nearer the equator than here in the often-grey UK. You might gather that most of my travel has hitherto been in N Europe!

Arthur: baby tripod, good idea - I often use a beanbag too.

Looks like 400 might be best option. And perhaps some Velvia 100.

Thanks,

Michael.

Mike,

They don't like tripods in Rome, ESPECIALLY in churches and museums.

If I were going, I would take Kodak Ultracolor 400. Rome is not

exactly the most brilliantly colorful city in Europe.

For a tripod, take the Leica Tabletop Tripod and Large Ball Head. You

will be able to brace your camera on walls, columns, seat backs etc.

Jerry

Not enough photos. Here's one I took in Venice last summer with a 35mm cron asph (I think) and NPH (certain). If you like film, I would recommend Fuji Reala, NPH, with a few NPZ for inside churches. This is all you need. Hey, this pidgen really did wash his head, and it looks like the people of Venice leave the water running just for this purpose. Nice place. Have a great trip. Show us your photos.<div>00CF7g-23599184.jpg.6bf56e3c88eab8486f6e84a955237540.jpg</div>