Lens For Large Product Photography

charles_patrick1

I've recently come to be the owner of a Linhof Kardan 4x5 camera and need to know which lens might be

most appropriate for me. I intend to use it for photographing furniture in studio, so products as large as a

bed or large dining table. My experience is only with medium format so I have NO clue as to which lens to

buy.

I'd like the quality equivalent of my Contax 645 lenses. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There are tables available to translate different formats into equivilent lenses. Calumet used to have those on their website and I'm sure you can find someone elses. Should't be any issues like doing it between a 35mm lens and 4x5 since 645 is essentially the same proportions, and this will make it easy to rough out which LF lens will duplicate your MF stuff.

With that said, if you need a wide angle (or any other focal length) look for one that will have the coverage you might need for movements (longer is better here). But also remember that as you rack out the lens for closer focus it's effective film coverage increases. Rack it out far enough and even a 90mm Super Angulon will cover a sheet of 8x10.

When I went shopping for LF lenses I did a lot of research on coverage, filters, etc. so all of my stuff can with rare exception work on everything from a 4x5 to 8x10, keeping in mind that a little 150mm G-Claron won't even cover 5x7 at infinity (~f32), but can cover 8x10 at around 1:1. Not that you are likely to get that close for a bed, but it's useful for nature closeups.

Since I like to use both 4x5 and 5x7 I actually have to find lenses that are a good compromise for both. Also ponder the interchangeability of filters since especially with multiple wide-angles the very specific center filters add up quick. You can use step-up adapters for most lenses but the wideangles usually want a center filter first, and the outer rings tend to be pretty big-- mine need 105mm filters. Like I said-- plan ahead!

As R. H. says, 4.5x6 cm has close to the same proportions as 4x5 inch, so focal length equivalents scale as the dimensions of the format. (As he pointed out, equivalents from 135 are more complicated since the format proportions are rather different.) The image dimensions of 4x5 are about 95 x 120 mm. Usually the "6 cm" dimension of MF is about 56 mm, so the ratio should be about 120 mm / 56 mm = 2.1. So multiply the focal length of a lens that you would use with your Contax 645 by about 2.1 to get the equivalent 4x5 focal length. (This is doing the comparison by the long dimension. If the formats don't have exactly the same proportion, you will get a slight different factor using the short dimension.)

Charles, Another factor is the size of your studio. Given a large enough space, I might stick with a 210mm Schneider, but in a smaller space, I might go wider. A wider lens may not give you the natural perspective you might expect from a catalog shot though. In general, I'd suggest that Schneiders might give you the most equivalent look to your Contax, though there are many other great lenses from Rodenstock and Nikon, and I've heard some seen some good results with Fuji and Caltar.

I build furniture, and have photographed pieces for myself and others. Like previously mentioned, the size of your studio is very important. Also important are the dimensions of the individual furniture pieces, and whether you intend to photograph them as single pieces, or in groupings, showing them in context in complete room settings.

In a small studio, photographing large pieces, like a bed, dining table/chairs or a tall chest of drawers, will be difficult to accomplish with anything over 210mm, and a 150mm would probably be your best bet in tight quarters. Really tight quarters might require using a gentle wide angle, something like a 120mm to 135mm. In a large studio, you can go longer, probably around 240mm to 300mm, without too much difficulty.

Unless you want to purposely achieve a pronounced wide angle look, I'd stick to normal to longer-than-normal lenses for furniture; wide angle distortion will not help convery the actual feel and proportions of the pieces. Though the dimensions and the scale of certain pieces can sometimes be rendered and interpreted quite effectively with creative use of wide angle lenses.

For detailed close-ups of the individual pieces, a longer than normal lens (210-300mm) would likely be best, although there's no reason a normal lens (around 150mm) would not work equally well. For furniture groupings, where you will be illustrating all the pieces in a room-like environment, a pronounced wide angle (anything from 90mm to 120mm) would probably be necessary. And if you're photographing furniture in its actual architectural environments, like the interiors of existing or model homes, a wide angle would be the only way to go.

Review some how-to large format architectural photography books (there are a number of them in book stores) for some ideas of lenses used for these kinds of interior shots, since these photographs usually are of completely furnished rooms, and include not only whole-room views but close up views as well.

Any of the 5.6 Schneider Super Angulons, Rodenstock Grandagons, Nikkor SWs in 90mm would be perfect for wide angle work. 5.6 Schneider Apo Symmars, Rodenstock Sironars or Nikor Ws would be good in the normal to longer-than-normal (150-210) focal lengths. The Schneider G-Clarons and Nikkor Ms are good in the 300mm (or so) focal lengths.

Good lighting is essential, but you already know that since you have a studio and work in Medium Format.

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions. I think I'll try a 150 lens first (Symmar-S) and see

how I make out. Currently on my RZ67 I use a viewing magnifier for help in focusing. Is there

such a thing for the Linhof and is it a good idea? I'm also not sure how I'll mount the camera

to my tripod. I now use an RRS plate for the RZ body and a quick release plate ona ball head

on the tripod. I suspect a pan tilt head will be better? I can't wait for the camera to arrive -

this is going to be a blast!