Regeration/Replenish Advice, Please

I just got through mixing my first batch of C-41 chemicals, so I now have:

<br><br>

1. Developer: 1-gallon of new tank solution (made from the gallon "kit")<br>

2. Bleach: 1-gallon bottle<br>

3. Fixer: 1-gallon made from the 5-gallon concentrate<br>

4. Stabilizer: 1-gallon<br>

<br><br>

I've been burning through about 4-6 rolls each week, both 35mm and 120, so I was

thinking I'd go ahead and start kicking around replenishing/regenerating to save money

-- but I'm not sure, 100%, which chemicals to buy.

<br><br>

Can anyone hook me up with a Kodak MFR# list of chems? My confusion comes from

seeing Part A, Starter, etc., etc.

<br><br>

Thanks

Maury,

You want the following Kodak chemistries:

Flexicolor (C-41) Bleach III Regenerator for Color Negative Film - Regenerates 5 Gallons

Mfr # 1939685 ユ B&H # KOFBR5GQ $16.50

-----------------

Flexicolor (C-41) Developer Replenisher for Color Negative Film - Makes 5 Gallons. Pour this into your 1 gallon bottle of working tank solution; then when you pour what you use back into the bottle, discard the overflow.

Mfr # 1919042 ユ B&H # KOFDR5G $26.50

-------------------

B&H no longer stocks the regenerator, and you have to buy a case of 6 bottles. HOWEVER, I ordered a case Tuesday, and I'll send you one. I also have a fresh 5 gallon Color Dev kit in stock.

**With replenishment** the key is to "stuff the tank" with that solution: Conceptually, think of the concept of dipping a reel into a 55 gallon drum of working tank solution; then when done you draw off 50 ml and squirt in 50 ml of replenisher: The amount of replenisher is small in relation to the working tank size. A 1 gallon (3.8 liter) bottle is about as small as you want to get for a couple reels of film. A 4 liter wine bottle is nice, since the screw caps are quite airtight.

Also, when replenishing, it's better to go a little bit over, than a little bit under. In fact, when some minilabs dump their dev tank, they don't even bother using starter: The developer is a bit "hot" and they simply compensate in the printing for the slight color shift and added contrast(!)

-------------

Unlike B&H, which is afraid of "cradle-to-grave" liability, I have no problem shipping photo chemistry. Contact me off-list, and I'll get you set up.

Cheers! Dan

"In fact, when some minilabs dump their dev tank, they don't even bother using starter..."

Dan, I have heard of this too from a minilab owner. In fact he has forgotten that a developer starter is needed to mix with developer replenisher to make working developer. He will use developer replenisher straight as working developer to make a new tank of developer. I thought it is odd to do that but I did not find any developer starter on his chemical shelf at all. It probably worked OK for him or he would have had problems.

If indeed developer replenisher can be used straight as working developer with OK result then I got an idea for Jobo ATL to replenish the developer. Just start with a one gallon sized developer. Use it to develop some films. After that don't toss it. Instead, dump maybe 30% then add replenisher to top it up and use it again.

By doing this the original developer is not used as one shot any more so it helps saving some cost. If the replenish rate can be kept at a fairly low rate then the saving will be significant. In the worst case the replenish rate is very high or near 100% then the developer replenisher is actually used straight as the developer. It would be still fine.

Developer replenisher is fairly cheap. For less than $100 you can get

a box of 8 set of concentrates to make 10 liters from each set of it.

I am going to experiment with this soon.

"So do I just dump the used Fixer and Stabilizer back into their original gallon jugs?"

For the fixer, transfer the amount for replenishment, say, 144 ml for 2 rolls of 120, from the second fixer tank stage and put it in the gallon jug. Then, when you pour your fixer from your drum back into the gallon jug, 144 ml will overflow, which is discarded.

See the right column below (Z-131 table 3-2) for the replenishment volumes for bleach, fixer, & stabilizer.

"So do I just dump the used Fixer and Stabilizer back into their original gallon jugs?"

For the fixer, transfer the amount for replenishment, say, 144 ml for 2 rolls of 120, from the second fixer tank stage and put it in the gallon jug. Then, when you pour your fixer from your drum back into the gallon jug, 144 ml will overflow, which is discarded...

See the right column below (Z-131 table 3-2) for the replenishment volumes for bleach, fixer, & stabilizer.