Rec Tripod for Canon 10D That Won't Break Bank

m herman

Understanding that everyone has some form of brand loyalty, some

recommendations for a tripod for my 10D would be most welcome.

A couple of my requirements:

Keep in mind that the 10D w/ grip and any kind of telephoto lens is pretty

heavy so I need something that can easily handle the weight.

Something light enough to be portable for foot trips in the mountains. The

camera with grip, lens and batteries is already close to 6 lbs. I would have

to say I'm looking for a tripod that is no more than 7-10 lbs. Lighter is

better, as long as its sturdy.

Lends well to field macro photography.

Not a table top.

Doesn't break the bank. Budget around $100.

I have the tripod listed above. I don't like it. Especially for macro. The weight of the camera and lens is too much for the head when it comes to macro movements.

Slik Makes a good sturdy, reasonable priced tripod, but that still leaves you the matter of a good ball head.

While the Quantaray is a light, sturdy tripod for the money, the head is weak, and doesn't work well with a heavy set up. You need a good ball head.

Mike

Whatever tripod you get, it will be much more stable without the grip. It's simple physics. It will take a much more expensive tripod and head to overcome the extra leverage the grip adds by moving the camera's center of mass away from the pivot of the head.

BTW, if you aren't shooting hand held, why do you want the grip?

"I have the tripod listed above. I don't like it. Especially for macro. The weight of the camera and lens is too much for the head when it comes to macro movements."

I've never had a problem, but given the name/price point it wouldn't surprise me to find variations among units.

I may hear a lot of criticism for this one, but this is one that I have been using and trying to destroy for over a year now, with no success, it just keeps going and going!

I have purchased a lot of items from these people, with only the best to say about them!

And if you check on fleebay for this, you can usually pick one up for a song, I got mine for around $50.00 on there including shipping!

Heres a link to their home page!

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2340

Good luck, and have fun

YOu can't beat the <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/bogtri.html">Bogen tripods</a> for value. 3001 for small size and lower weight, 3021 for larger. I own both, I've had then for 10-15 years and I can recommend either one. If you want to use a 300/2.8 or anything bigger, you'll need the 3021. The practical (stability) limit for the 3001 is probably a 70-200 zoom or maybe a 300/4 prime.

For macro you could look at a Benbo 1, I have had mine for about 20 years. It is very flexible for macro, solid and not too expensive - it is a bit heavy, I use mine with a Kirk BH-1. For light weight use like landscape I have Velborn CF 530 PRO + PH-253 which is very good value.

Like Bob, I also use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 with ball head all the time with EOS DSLRs and lenses as large as the 70-200 2.8L. I LOVE that tripod! I've hiked with it in VERY steep terrain for several miles too, so if you are able bodied there's nothing to fear (except a little extra workout).