What is the most potentially detrimental piece of equipment in your gear bag?

Any of it if it happens to be the piece that fits the purpose at any given time. Hopefully you've prepared well and you've got a backup of everything within an arms reach.

Also what David said, however, i find it hard getting into my gear bag.

With digital, my biggest nightmare is card failure because with everything else you know at the time mechanically if it's working or not. With that little card.....you simply have to put all your faith into it. Even if you see those little thumnails your never assured that it wrote properly.

I would have to say my car. (Although that is not in my camera bag.) I have 190,000 miles on it, and I am worried that one of these days I won't be able to get to the reception. I have backup of everything else. Although cards would be top on the list too....

I'm old school. I shoot with two different (film) cameras at every wedding. In fact I shoot two seperate sets of "formals", with different cameras. This eliminates the possibilty of an unforseen camera malfunction.

I also check my flashes with a flash meter, 2-3 times during an event too. I never take anything like this for granted.

And I check my camera settings before every frame ! So the only real gremlin that can invisbly strike is a flash sync failure. And this can be visually checked by firng the camera with the back open.

Every other mechanical failure is noticeable to the photographer. So this is the only "potentially detrimental" failure that can happen without you knowing it.

My two camera method insures that 50% of the day will be fine though. I'd rather have to tell a bride that 50% is bad, than 100% !

Steve--there might still be one or two other mechanical problems that can occur without your knowing it. For instance, shutter bounce or shutter blade hanging, causing a strip of overexposed area on every frame. Or, sticky shutter, causing intermittent black frames. Of course, maintenance will get these, but not on the first day it happens, which is usually on the job. Also, your external flashes not going off--even if you check them before starting to shoot, they can be intermittent, and if you are using them as key light, can cause your images to be underexposed--again not a bad problem since film has the latitude, but annoying nonetheless, and it can happen without your knowing it. I once had a shutter blade come undone and hanging, and even though I do the "flash through the back of the camera" test with film, I didn't notice the blade because I didn't open the aperture completely. Not opened up, the iris looked normal. This was with a leaf shutter lens. Lots of weird things can happen.