Photographer Alex Majoli

kenny_c

"Last weekend at the Carmel Art Festival..."

Sanford:

Don't mean to hijack the thread on something unrelated, but I have to ask you if you saw my video "Stillness... the aftermath of Katrina". It was being shown at George Rodrigue's gallery in Carmel during the festival last weekend. George and Wendy Rodrigue are great people and, glad to say, friends of mine.

Thanks.

Dennis

This size issue with DSLR's is a red herring these days, isn't it? The Oly e-500 is smaller than a Leica M, the Oly digital Zuuiko lenses are small as well. Viewfinder is weak, to be sure, but nothing that prevents you from getting a shot. It just isn't very stylish or zen like.<p> The Nikon D200 with the DK-21M magnifier has a viewfinder that is as good as film camera's. With a split-prism screen it manually focuses as precisely as a good 35mm film camera. With the Nikon Tessar-design pancake lens it has as small a footprint as a Leica M. It is the same width as a Leica M. And it is marginally taller than a Leica M. And it has 10 MPs, just like the DM-to-be. Now go and take some pictures.

Majoli really utilizes the great depth of field a small sensor camera has, its impressive. FWIW, the Panasonic LX1 can be used very quickly if you keep it in manual focus, use the lcd for quick framing. The extra depth of field is a real help when shooting like this.

The Oly 5050 is a well thought out camera. It takes three kinds of batteries. The noise not significant below ISO 200 and even at 400, you can manual mode your way around heavy noise. The 1.8 lens is very sharp. It shoots RAW, TIFF and JPEG. The shutter is not fast but with training and use, you get beyond that. Manual mode can be quick. It has a good spot meter. Its array of features has something for everyone. The TIFF recording is slow, or it may be my xD card. It takes xD, CF and SD cards. Many of the images in my portfolio are taken with the Oly by me while I was wishing I had my M6 up to my eye.

yeah, James Kim....wonder what he does do with all them. He could sell me one.....cheap. Starting to get worried I might need a back up for parts lately.

Alex does do pretty good with that Oly 8080 though. That article about how he uses it to get around shutter lag and AF delays was interesting. I adopted the same thing with my Canon A80.......works great. He shoots DSLRs also if I'm not mistaken. Probably medium format too. Definitely a prime example of "it's the photographer, not the equipment" in action.

• 4 months later...
I've had my 8080 for some time now, buying it cheaply when it was at the end of its model run, saving several hundred dollars. The camera is poorly suited for action photography because of its overall slowness in focusing and photographing. So, if things are not moving or not moving too fast, great piece of machinery for the price. I also discovered that when the zoom lens is at its max settings, the focus mechanism won't work correctly. The flip out LCD allows me to use it like a TLR, and I've never understood why the new DSLRs don' offer this feature to make the camera more flexible to use. Well, built and rugged. The controls are extensive, especially I like the (+,-) controls for the flash on the side. Battery life is excellent. Writing raw files is torture. The metering system does have some quirks and in bright Arizona Lighting this can cause some strange exposures "from which there is no escape." Compared to a film camera like the Nikon N80 which often travels along as a companion, the eyelevel viewfinder is just plain horrible, but one gets accustomed after a while AND it does have a good built-in diopter adjustment. Prior to buying the camera, I read the DPreview of the unit and a couple of others as well. I found the DP Review quite accurate in retrospect, and the others just copycat hype or in one case, the party never bothering to check the camera's settings out completely before writing the review which was filled with inaccuracies and just plain photononsense. I have never regretted buying the camera.