W/NW: World Cup Fever

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"most decent democratic constitutions ar derivatives of Greco-Roman traditions anyway"

Both societies/systems that were also firmly founded upon slavery for their economic existance. Hardly democratic for the majority of their populations.

"Personally I dont have a problem with other people's sexual preferences"

Not even those "Nancy boyz" you referred to?

Sexual preferences. Yeah, no problems here either of course. Denial is the problem. The guy who caused Oscar Wilde to be sent down (Queensbury) could not face the fact that his two of his own sons were 'sodomites' (the term used in those days) so had Wilde punished instead.

Strangely though, the only people Queensbury really liked hanging out with were young working class boxers. Maybe that was why he divorced twice at a time when even once was unusual for the upper classes in Victorian England.

Plutarch has some interesting stuff to say about battle formations also Peter....

"He said that Homer�s Nestor was not a shrewd tactician when he ordered that the Greeks be drawn up according to tribe and clan, "so that clan might aid clan, and tribe tribe,"31 [18.3] and that what he should have done was station lover beside beloved. For when the going gets tough, tribesmen don�t give much thought for their fellow tribesmen, nor clansmen for their fellow clansmen. But a battalion joined together by erotic love cannot be destroyed or broken: its members stand firm beside one another in times of danger, lovers and beloveds alike motivated by a sense of shame in the presence of the other."

So maybe if the England team had been joined together by "Erotic love" they could have played a better game on Saturday ?

Just a thought. (Not sure what Victoria Beckham would have to say about it!)

Is THIS how you mean in Rugby Pete?

"Box is a beautiful game, soccer is a beautiful game, everything else is far down the line."

In your humble opinion, right?

Personally, I feel that any sport played with a stupid f-ing clock comes a distant second to

baseball.

Been a long time, but I seem to recall that Plato (Socrates) originally expressed the ideas Trevor read in Plutarch. Might have been the Symposium. Lots of attention paid to the superiority of love (eros) between two males over mere man/woman love.

By "been a long time" I don't mean I was there-at the Symposium, you understand....

Also: Frederick the Great of Prussia. Weren't his "crack troops" ( no pun-really) a company of lovers-based on the same theory? Frederick had a French lover in his youth, but his disgusted father had him shot in front of the boy.

"well, there was nothin' but Fair Play going on over the centuries wasn't there in that

country."

Yes, I did mention Perfidious Albion before. Of course, we've got a shockingly blood

thirsty history. Is it different anywhere else?

"Let him without sin cast the first stone." I'm not given to quoting the Bible but this one is

the most appropriate. I suppose I could have also said that we've all got skeletons in the

cupboard.

If you're thinking of visiting Wales you'd better hurry up. Parliament is just passing

legislation so that the entire country can be turned into a reservoir to ease the water

shortage in the south east of England.

Andrew I know Wales has far more going for it than that.

World class high tech manufacture of major components (wings) for the new Airbus 380 for instance.

The reservoir issue has been rattling on for a long time. During a cycle tour of Wales in 1976 (the 'drought' year) there was a lot of bad feeling because of all the water in the reservoirs (for Manchester & Liverpool) that was not available to Welsh towns where people had water rationed from stand-pipes. However, the people I met and spoke to were nothing but kind and generous to a parched English lad on a bike.

(Thankyou New Quay)

I love Wales. One of the only places where a bunch of white men in white robes is not sinister but poetic....

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0106/feature4/zoom2.html

The only americans who will ever win the world cup are south americans. [please please

please don't ever let me be shown wrong ;-]

England went out - Sven should have played 10 men earlier as that was by far the best we

performed. How sad. Allez les Bleus !

I know, isn't she just lovely? And I totally respect the fact that she hasn't forgotten her roots in all her Hollywoodoom. She often returns to her local theatre for performances and hangs with her friends.