W/NW: World Cup Fever

"Something just plain UNMANLY about being trained to fall over and pretend you are hurt

- to gain advantage in a 'game' dont ya reckon?"

Agreed. I also agree about the officials having FAR too much control over the outcome.

You have this wonderful game with incredible athletes competing in a winner-takes-all

world event, and then the outcome is decided by some pissy little man bearing a grudge,

or taking bribes. I think that keeps many America fans away. That, and the fact that our

best athletes don't play the sport.

I would pay money to see an athlete like NFL defensive back Jevon Kearse battle the

Czech's Jan Koller for the ball, but Jevon, and every other teenage athlete, knows there's

no money in the sport here. Too bad.

After all the diving, crying and official incompetence this tournament, perhaps football

should be a "judged" sport like figure skating at the Olympics. ( Oooh...That's a

deduction! )

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter makes a good point. The game now is played by cheating pansies. The refs are on

the take and FIFA is rotten to the core.

<p>

One aspect I found particuarly galling was if Team A was in possession, a player from

Team B would go down as though struck by the plague and the nonce of a ref would blow

up thereby denying Team A any advantage. Of course the player from Team b would

miraculously get up, pose for a few piccies, wait for his nail varnish to dry and rejoin the

game.

<p>

As for Rooney's sending off what a joke. Rooney allegedly stamped on Carvalho's gonads

yet the dickless wonder is up and running the moment Rooney is sent off. Now the whole

world knows what Mrs Carvalho been complaining about all these years.

"There's fundamental flaw in the American approach to youth sports. "

Or, conversely, perhaps there's some fundamental flaw in the European approach that treats

every fall to the turf as an excuse to replay scenes from one's favorite opera? Or worse, like

a trip to small-claims court.

And while we're at it, let's eliminate the defensive 'offside trap' nonsense. Heck, why not

eliminate offsides altogether? God forbid a talented offensive player should actually outrun

the defense and score (gasp!) several goals in a game!

Stuart it isn't a question of not understanding it; it's a question of not liking it. I know it won't change though. Is there an official rationale for it?

Hockey changed some of it's offside rules this year and the result was a quicker game, in a sport that already has cardiac-producing intensity.

No need to get personal, is there, Stuart? I'm just offering an outsider's opinion that it

seems rather silly to hobble brilliant athletes with such petty, beaureaucratic seeming rules.

I'm just as bewildered by my fellow countrymen's taste in beer as you are but, FWIW, there are

many fine, small production beers available here, you just have to push your way past the

Bud Light to find them. That's true, actually, of many facets of American life; you have to

tolerate the often idiotic tastes of the mainstream and seek out the good stuff. It can be

more than a little annoying, I'll grant you. (Zima, anyone?)

<I>"1000 bottles of gnats-pee beer."</I>

<P>

Don't get me going...

<P>

<I>"Hockey...a sport that already has cardiac-producing intensity."</I>

<P>

Thank god somebody brought up a real sport. I'm firmly of the opinion that every sport that doesn't include "checking" as part of fair play would be greatly improved if it were allowed. Including golf.

Let's just f** forget what the bigoted white amerikan males think

about <strike>soccer</strike> football and enjoy the beautiful game.

No one who enjoys football gives a damn about what U.S. thinks abut

it, just

as no one outside of U.S. gives a damn about american rugby.

"Budweiser for paying to become the official beer of the World cup- in Germany!"

Budweiser originated in Germany. It was still brewed there the last time I was there. Not popular or respected much, though. And yes, a joke Jack.

Very funny Mr. Pete. I like both rugby and football personally. Right winger and striker/sweeper, respectively. Lets not forget though, that if it wasn't for a football bladder going flat a few centuries ago in Rugby, England, and a few kids running around tossing it back and forth, rugby itself never would have been born.

Regardless of the corruption and acting, I know of no other commercial sport that essentially allows the whole world (what, 127 countries?) to compete ever four years. Fun times.

"Let's just f** forget what the bigoted white amerikan males think about soccer football and

enjoy the beautiful game....No one who enjoys football gives a damn about what U.S. thinks

abut it..."

I'd love to stay and debate your insults and profanity, but the F1 race is underway, and I don't

want to miss the pass. ;-)

" and watz wrong wif the occassional biffola anyway - I am not a buyer of the femi nazi isation of the planet either.

still if you like your nancy boyz game "

You overcompensate so such Pete that I DO begin to wonder ;-) Do all you Rugby players still like to get in a communal bath after a game for a bit of male 'bonding' ?? Hmmmm.