Canon camera envy

I've had a d70 for a couple of years, shooting mostly with the kit lens and a

1.8 50mm. The camera has been a joy. However, a friend just bought a Canon d5

with the 24-105 IS zoom. We took it out for a trial run yesterday, and I was

blown away. The detail was astounding. He took a portrait of me from 15 feet

away, and it was easy to read the time on my watch. So, bottom line, I'm wanting

one. We're talking four grand here for camera and lens, and that's a real

stretch. Also, I've always been a Nikon user, and a switch would be slightly

traumatic. Lastly, I know it isn't the camera that takes good pictures. Please

tell me how I can get comparable quality with Nikon, getting different lenses or

whatever, but not spending four thousand dollars to do it. Of course it may be

just a matter of getting what you pay for.

In what way the switch would be slightly traumatic? you only own two nikon lens, those should be easy to sell and your loss by selling those items is nothing , compared to what you are prepaired to shell out to buy the D5 or 5D and the L lens.

Were you looking at a print, or were you looking at your monitor? Conventional wisdom is that you would need a 24 megapixel camera for an obvious improvement over your d70 - double the resolution both vertically and horizontally. Here's what I would do before spending the money - take "identical" pictures with each camera, then compare 12x18 prints.

Thanks guys, I guess. Marc, every 35mm camera I've ever bought over 30+ years has been a Nikon. Maybe that isn't a good reason for not wanting to switch, but it's there. Brian, assuming you are serious, no I'm not interested in reading watches. I simply thought the image quality was better, particularly in the details, with the Canon than what I get with my d70. Maybe that's a subjective judgment, but that's what I saw.

I appreciate it, Roger. I do normally shoot raw, and love the PhotoKit sharpener. The 50mm 1.8 is a fine lens. What other Nikon lenses would you recommend? I rarely have the need for a long telephoto. I like fast primes that are sharp wide open, but find I'm more inclined to use zooms. A slight inclination toward laziness, I'm afraid.

I haven't had a chance to shoot with a 5D, unfortunately, however I have used both the 30D

and the D200, which are in a much closer price range than the 5D and D200. Anyway, I think

that were you to stick with Nikon and buy a D200 it will be enough of an upgrade from your

D70 that the 5D will become a faint memory for you.

"The detail was astounding" It is not always about just detail. The final print is one of my benchmarks. What about the tonal and color rendition? There are pros/cons to both systems. I have to do more color adjustments with Canon files than with my Nikon/Fuji files.

I made the switch from Nikon to Canon over the summer. It was expensive, but I have never looked back in terms of ease of use (ergonomics) and picture quality (high res with low noise).

Frankly, it is no contest. I still use some Nikon high end glass on my 5D, but there is no way that I am going back to Nikon bodies.

--Lannie

Scott, in the unlikely event you are back here, please tell me what advice you were trying to give me.

When I was about to get married 31 years ago, for Christmas my future wife's parents gave me a Nikormat body, and my future wife gave me the 50mm lens. I used that for many years, until it was stolen. I bought another one, and bought several lenses for it. Several years ago I bought an N90s, and two lenses. Two years ago I went digital with an D70, which has given me great pleasure. My 16 year old son recently took a beginning photography class in school, and used my old Nikormat.

The bottom line is that I have a long history of using Nikon cameras. Given that, can it be so silly to be this attached to a camera brand?

I'm just curious as to why you would suggest that I simply remove my watch.

Thanks!

<i>He took a portrait of me from 15 feet away, and it was easy to read the time on my watch.</i><BR><BR>

Doug, it's a variation on:<BR><BR>

<i>Patient:</i> Doc, it hurts when I do this.<BR>

<i>Doc:</i> Well, don't do that.<BR><BR>

Mostly just a joke. A couple weeks ago, someone posted that she was having trouble photographing a brown dog, as the color was not coming out right. I suggested she try a black dog. I searched just now and can't find that post...maybe it was deleted by the humor police?<BR><BR>

I don't consider it at all silly to be attached to a particular brand. What is the hobby (and art) of photography all about, if not sentimentality and emotion? I assume you have been getting results that made you happy all these years...are you less happy now that you saw what the Canon can do? Are you $4000 worth of less happy?<BR><BR>

Cheers,<BR>

Scott