chad_goldman

I'm sure this has been brought up in the past, but I was gnawing on 3/3's I've

recieved recently and in the past. And I thought about this, when/if I choose

just to rate photos and see one in a genre I do not care for I skip without

rating. I don't want to rate something I'm not familiar with. Not all do

this, that could be why the 3/3 bandits exist. This is theory, just go with

it.

Suggestion is this, when you select "Rate" you get to choose a category. If

you like nature photo, or more specifically insects, choose to rate insects.

Because we know people look at insects and say "it's another dumb insect, *

click 3/3*" This keeps people from rating stuff they don't want to see

anyways, be it nudity or birds.

just my 2 cents.

cg

Thanks for the quick answers guys

Jerry,

I think you and I are on the same page with the rating biz. I read the whole thread. It once again hits to what people crave to see, at times I see a photo of a frog and think, 'oh that's so cool!' and see a photo of architecture and not get too excited.

It all burrows down to what you are interested in. I would think it all equals out over time, but I had a photo of a crane fly. Posted it because it was unusual, though it Bombed in the ratings. I noticed after it seems to bomb it doesn't pop up to be rated much more. I deleted it, waited a week, reposted and resubmitted to critique. Same photo, this time with much higher results 5.0/4.8 just matters who stubles upon it.

I try to not get too excited about ratings, and would even submit w/o allowing ratings, but that limits who sees your photos. I want them out there because I want critiques. I'm a teacher, not a pro, so I need help at times. I want to put my stuff out there, not to brag to see what I can do, but for people who know what they are doing to point out ways I can improve. I have came along way in my year on PN and many thanks are given to the community for the help. Besides, I look at who the ratings come from, a 5/5 from someone I respect means much more than a 6/6 or 7/7 from a random person.

I was just hoping with a rating category then people who would be interested in what I am attempting to do would take time to consider it. And like you said, it works two ways, it also keeps people from wasting thier time on stuff they don't want to see.

ah, I guess we never have to agree with the ratings, just live with them.

Sometimes it's just good to know i'm not the only one having these frustrations.

thanks

cg

I have always suspected that the time of day had an effect on ratings. Will the image be seen by old ladies who want to look at flowers or drunk college kids looking for boobs.

In the absence of "rate recent" by category, if you are interested in ratings, you need to go for the "lowest common denominator" the way television does.

For images it would help if there was a "Thomas Kincade filter" that automatically put dark over-saturated softly focused flowers on every image with a "boob option" for mature audiences.

The Thomas Kinkade idea is genius.

</p>

and Mark, I find the same.

This photo: http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/4625157-lg.jpg

</p>

first hour it was posted had an avg. of 3.8/3.3 I also think it is what encouraged this thread. Now it is much higher. I knew it wasn't a 3/3 photo (yes, I have taken some that were, but I don't post those :) Could it be a timing thing? I post things at all times, I wish I could keep track of ratings based off the timing...that would be an interesting study. I did post 5 photos of nearly identical butterflies, only difference was a 1/3 of a stop here and a 1/3 of a stop there, or not. Posted morning, noon, night, weekend and midday. With that I have a slight variety of ratings. Now, most are similiar, mid 4's range, but one was in the 5's. odd, i thought.

</p>

cg