Canon delivery problems: EF 85mm

chris_shawn

I am very disappointed that Canon is so bad in producing their products. I

ordered the new EF 85mm lens here in Germany on May, 12th. And they cannot even

tell me when they can deliver. That really sucks. Very, very bad company. I am

disappointed.

I assume you are referring to the new 85mm f/1.2L, since the 85mm f/1.8 seems to be in stock everywhere. I see the f/1.2L version is out of stock at B&H Photo as well.

However, I really can't follow your logic that Canon is a "very, very bad company" just because you are disapointed with their production schedule.

The 1.2L lens is somwhat of a specialty lens, and never seemed to sell all that well before Canon updated it. I suspect they have been cought off guard with the higher than expected demand. Canon generally makes lenses in batches of one model, then switches to another model, and then another. Their semi-specialty lenses are probably not actually assembled but once every few months at most, or perhaps even once a year or more. The demand being as high as it is, might make Canon ramp up production to an earlier than scheduled time frame, but probably no decision has been made yet, or if there has, it's not been passed down to the marketing dept.

None of this makes them a bad company.

I have experinced long delivery times this year also. Things like the MP-E 65mm and MT-24EX were ex stock (in March) but EF 300/f4 L IS took about a month, the 17-40/f4L 2 months and a EF 28/f1.8 ordered at that time has only just come through the door.

I phoned my supplier about this the other day and they called Canon while I was on hold - Canon were not able to supply a date even and this is after 4 months. They obviously got one from somewhere as about 3 days later it turned up.

I am in the UK but I suspect the issue is europe wide.

I see that my local camera store has it in stock, here in Seattle, WA USA

Canon EF 85mm F1.2L USM MK II $2100.00

Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM $ 379.00

http://www.glazerscamera.com/

Maybe it's just your country. Or maybe the fact the Germany is hosting the World Cup and

the demand for the lens is that much greater. I don't see how that counts as being

Canon's fault.

Canon can't supply enought lenses to Europe. It's easy to laught when almost every shop has plenty in stock. If shops can't get lenses from canon is it shops fault? At the same time the same unaviable in Europe lenses are in US. And the prices are rip offs here. One day I'm going to move to US ;-)

I don't understand how strong a lot of you guys stand behind the brand Canon. They definitely have a big problem in delivering high quality products in Germany. I had the same problem when I asked for the 35mm L lens. I canceled my ordered after 7 months of waiting. I understand if there is a high demand but then at least - as with every car dealer - I would like to have a delivery date announced. If they tell me they can produce the lens in 8 weeks - ok. But if I wait for 8 weeks without even knowing when I can get the lens, it is Canon's fault and I blame them for that.

Canon USA may be different but ordering a lens from abroad is not a good idea (customs, warranty, etc.).

Maybe you understand my anger, I am just very disappointed that I have to wait for so long even though I am not living in a communist country...

I ordered at a big and reliable dealer. I get a lot of equipment from that dealer and only the high-class lenses are a problem. That is definitely a Canon problem. They are very unrealiable and slow in Germany. The dealer calls them and still they can't tell a date. Disappointing.

The problem is that Canon prefers to produce products for the masses like their small consumer cameras. They sell thousands of those and obviously earn more with that than by selling high class lenses.

If they were able to deliver I had bought the EF35 L lense and my order for the 85 L 1.2 is still running.

Today I saw an add in a photo magazine for their new 85mm lens and that is really bullshit - marketing for a lens that they cannot deliver. How should a client feel about that?

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered mine at a German online retailer around July 1st and took delivery this week (July

26th). It's still a long time and noone really knew for sure when delivery would take place

during the waiting period.

For what it's worth, producing consumer type point and shoot lenses and cameras might

take a different type of optical glass (so I'm told). The general underestimation of the

current DSLR market might've led to insufficient production of optical glass, which in turn

led to general availability problems in the high end lens sector (and not limited to Canon

lenses).

Take it with a grain of salt, this statement could've just as well been a lazy excuse from a

retailer unable to live up to his promises.