What makes a good image.

gerfoy3

Right, I'm sick of 3's. I don't get 3's with bird shots cause I know what

makes a good bird shot. Landscapes not too bad either have a fair idea. But

children shots....what is a good children shot, what are the general rules.

How should the light on the face be e.t.c.

Help..

Ger..

Yo ur question actually has two answers: the first is how do I take better photographs? the second part is: how do I control a bunch of unruly strangers, some of whom are well meaning and some of whom are just rude people?

My answer for my own work will differ from what others do for their work but basically when editing I first listen to my inner voice for a positive emotional (gut) reaction. I then look at the aesthetics (formal qualities) of the image: is it composed well, is it framed well, is the lighting good, are there distracting elements that could have been framed (or cropped) out, do all of the elements of the composition contribute to or detract from the reaction I want a viewer to have, etc. At the third stage I ask of the photo; do you say what I want you to communicate? Even if what I see when looking at a photo (anyone's photo) is different from the message you get, I still want there to be some sort of intellectual core to the image. When editing I ask myself those questions in that order: emotional, aesthetics, intellectual content.

In my own pictures I look for a very clean image that satisfies me on those levels.

There is no real answer to the second question. So unless the "critics" are paying me money for those pictures or are people I know and respect, I pretty much ignore their comments.

<p>It sounds like you're worring more about technical details than about the "character" of the picture. Capture a momemnt, tell a story, convey strong emotion, and small lapses in technical merit will quickly be forgotten - at least that's how it seems to me.</p>

<p>I got very lucky with <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3965283" style="{color:#550030;text-decoration:underline;}">this picture</a>, in more ways than one, and the ratings seem to reflect that - even though I missed the focus slightly.</p>

<p>A smiling or laughing child by him/herself doesn't make a photo stand out to anyone who doesn't know or isn't attached to the child. That's a large part of why <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/4252099"

style="{color:#550030;text-decoration:underline;}">this picture</a> received much lower ratings. It doesn't paint a scene, tell a story, or make you feel anything like the first picture does - it's just another kid. =)</p>

If you just plunk a kid down in a chair and start shooting, to my mind, you're never going to have a "good" shot out of it. The reason is that no matter how you light the kid, your shot is going to look like a gazillion other shots. You might have a sellable portrait. But no one but people that know the kid would want it.

What catches my eye when looking over kid shots on photo.net are unusual (and attractive) expressions and situations. A lot of that is luck. Part of it is letting kids do what kids do and photographing them, rather than trying to get them posed for a picture. Good lighting is nice, but a great expression in mediocre lighting is better than a mediocre expression in great lighting.

And, if you don't want low ratings, don't shoot kids, flowers, or pets. Period. If you do, just take the ratings as a matter of fact.

The last sentence of Stephen's post is appropriate, but I might change the categories a little. It's almost impossible to get above average ratings if you shoot portraits, kid shots, and weddings. Let's face it. It's hard to be original, and people are not blown away by the aesthetic value, either. And many just don't realize how difficult it is to get a decent kid shot.

I agree with whoever said that the best kid shots are not posed. Let the child wander around and do what he or she does. You'll get some good ones. But they still won't get high ratings.

Best Regards

Hi Ger,

On the point of shooting kids portraits - I firmly believe leaving them to their own devices and shooting them Being Kids is what brings Almost all of the qualities of a good kid shot together - You just need good (natural) light and a careful focus and composition.

This I believe will bring about a great shot of a child. Not just one the childs parents will like - To make sure you have a good chance of having that shot I recommend pressing that shutter as many times as possible - You probably won't know you got it until you review your shots later but THAT great shot will very likely jump up and smack you in the face.

I diddn't even know I got this...

• 4 weeks later...

Hard work and much experience in the form of learning basic photographic skills. Then to continue learning and to apply your knowledge. To perservere patiently and persistently. To ignore your critics and listen to your heart. To feel rather than to imitate.

To think for yourself, to act for yourself so that you can become yourself. To try, try and try again. Never to give up. To grow old so that you will have the time to do all that is required. To love what it is you do. I have photographed my children with a passion. It turns out that they are the most rewarding images. If I can help you in any other way please ask.<div>00H2ba-30752184.jpg.79345f83ba159e5c588574eada566f3d.jpg</div>