Ilford FP4 125 vs. Delta 100 at 200 asa

I am choosing a film and developer for a shoot with indirect

daylight. I have to shoot at 200 asa to give me just enough light.

I want to maximize sharpness and minimize grain (i will lean toward

minimizing grain) and I'm trying to figure out whether to shoot

delta or FP4. Also if I'm developing with ID-11 or Microphen

(suggested for push processing), which is the best choice for my

goals? Thanks!

I would go for using TriX instead of pushing FP4. I tried to push some FP4 to 200 and I think it is a waste of such a nice fine grained film. At 200 it was not any finer than TriX. If you really want something fine grained and fast try ilford XP2. It is a c41 process film but you can do any enlargments yourself in the darkroom without any problems.

I think Delta 400 rated at 250 and dev'd in Perceptol for 12 minutes would be a nice fine grained result. Delta 400 could also be rated at 200 and souped in ID-11 (stock) for 7 minutes but would not be quite as fine - still good though.

I also concur with the XP2 idea, if you like C41 processing or you want to scan (it scans well). XP2 can be run through at 200 for a finer grain negative with the standard C41 in the lab.

I've been shooting FP4 at 200 developed in Microphen 1:1 (8 min @ 68F) or 1:3 (11 min @

68F) for roughly 20 years. Grain, sharpness and tonal range are outstanding. 200 is a

'normal' speed for FP4 in Microphen. I tried Delta 100 at 200 in Microphen once without

really knowing how the stuff would act. Could have been my metering techniques or

processing habits but it just didn't work as well for me.

Not knowing exactly what you mean by "indirect daylight" any advice will only be a guess.

if you can provide more info, such as in shade, outdoors, indoors windowlight, some sun,

etc. we could help more.

Both Delta 100 and FP-4 are great films. If your lighting is difficult and changing, I'd have

to say FP-4 works best. Devloping in DD-X or Microphen will give you ISO 200-250 easily.

For what it's worth, Photographer's Formulary has a modified version (TFX-2) of Crawley's FX-2, a fine if somewhat expensive high accutance developer that gives finer grain and better midtones on slower films such as D100 and FP-4+ than Crawley's other really high accutance developer FX-1, AND TFX-2 is recommended by them for D100 and other tabular grained films like Delta 400 and the slower members of the TMAX family. I've also used it on Agfapan 100 and FP-4+ with good results (although I'm still working out the best parameters for exposure and development). However, these 100/125 speed films should be rated at an NORMAL EI of 200-250 when developed in TFX-2, and that can be downrated and/or the developer component of TFX-2 diluted to reduce contrast if needed.

TFX-2 and Rodinal both work well with high dilutions and semi-stand methods (longer periods between agitations), methods that work well to reduce overall contrast and improve edge definition.

What's that chaps name, famous PJ who covered the North of England for the Grauniad newspaper for many years? FP4+ @ ISO 200 in Microphen is his preferred choice, and he's done some great work with it.

• 2 years later...