New to Medium format

angelos_rallis

<p>TTL metering + autofocus + speed generally means big bucks in MF photography.</

p>

<p>I'm more familiar with Hasselblad than anything else... and the only Hasselblad that

even comes close to meeting all those things is the H1 -- and that will cost you in the

region of $3,500, even well used. Later H series cameras will cost even more.</p>

<p>As an alternative, how about I suggest a Holga? It doesn't have any of those features,

but it is medium format, weighs less than a paperback book, is very small and amazingly

discrete. Plus it only costs about $15.</p>

<p>I use Holgas a lot for street photography. Generally I have 2 or 3 of them, each loaded

with a differently rated film. That way I have the right film/light combination for most

situations, and simply swap cameras as I move into different situations.</p>

<p>Best thing is they look like a heap of junk (they are toys, after all) and no one takes

them seriously. You can get very close to people without them being the least bit

worried.</p>

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this option: You can buy a decent used Hasselblad, back and lens for about $600 or so if you do good research. TTL meter prism finders sell as low as $230-250 these days. I don't care to work with the prism finders that much, but the accuracy of the meter in my PME-5 is very good.

The other thing for street photography is that I almost never use a meter because I'm pretty good at estimating it using the Sunny 16 rule. For more important shots, I use an incident or spot meter to back myself up. You won't have autofocus, but Hasselblads are pretty easy to focus, especially with an Acute Mat or Beattie screen, or my preference: the split image screen. Also, it would be good to know what price range you're thinking about.

The Mamiya 645 Pro is available with autofocus and TTL metering. It handles basically like a 35mm camera, only bigger. The camera and lenses are relatively inexpensive compared to Hasselblad V models (which have neither). An autofocus Hasselblad will cost more than a new SUV (or is it a Prius these days).

I'm not convinced you will get any better "street" pictures with a medium format camera than with a Nikon F100 setup for 1/3rd the price.

<p>Not a bad suggestion, but a Hasselblad with a PME finder isn't always the best tool for

street photography. I've tried it with my 503 and its slow and very, very obvious. You can't

photograph from a distance because long telephotos are unwieldy, and if you're up close

you might as well have a flashing sign on your head.</p>

<p>In my experience, at least, the only viable way to work a Hasselblad on the street is

with a waist level finder, which kind of eliminates TTL metering unless you're using a

203/205. And you won't get one of those for $600.</p>

<p>Although using a 500/501 and metering by hand, of course, is an excellent lower

budget alternative.</p>