Your favourite old Leica book.

jcgoodman

Some of the old LTM-era Leica books are very interesting. One of my

favourites is a bound set of 39 issues of the London-published "Leica

News and Technique". This publication appeared from January 1935 to

June 1939, and provides essential reading for the "Barnack" Leica

enthusiast.<div>00IAFG-32570584.jpg.569a8dd7101d23c6e3544ec1a4b1d1af.jpg</div>

All the Morgan and Morgan "Leica Manual"s (except the last one), All the Hove books, especially the Rogliatti "Leica, the first XX years," And Dr. Paul Wolff's "My First 10 Years With The Leica," and his "Color Photography." Probably the best Leica book ever published was Ernst Haas' "The Creation."

Another vote for the Morgan & Lester manuals. The 12th edition (1951) has a very impressive list of contributors, with chapters by Alfred Eisenstaedt, Magnum co-founder William Vandivert (ostensibly writing about 'public relations' photography, he produces a still useful guide to picture stories partly illustrated by his wartime work) _Look_'s Arthur Rothstein, and _Life_'s Peter Stackpole. The chapter on printing is by a certain Ansel Adams (who apparently knew a thing or two about darkroom work...), and they roped in Harold Edgerton to write about electronic flash (also something of an expert, since he basically invented it!). Plenty of details about Leica equipment (up to the IIIf) and technique are contributed by Morgan and Lester themselves, including an intesting chapter on colour, illustrated in Kodachrome.

Back in the sixties when I acquired my first M2 a friend gave me a copy of Theo M Sheerer's THE LEICAN AND THE LEICA SYSTEM (Umshcau Verlag). Since then I have worn out two copies (they are now at the bindery being restored) and am looking for another. Hardly a week goes by that I don't have reason resort to it for one Leica matter or another. Little known in some circles, in my most arrogant opinion it rates among the greatest books on the Leica.

My favorite is Das Farbige Leica= Buch , I think the english version is Leica in color. Anton F. Baumann 1938 issued by Knorr&Hirth GMBH

The book deals with the then new Kodachrome in detail ( strange some details are plain wrong ) However there are 72 large photos in color

taken all over the world and reproduced perfectly even at todays standards. Purchased on Ebay South Australia for $ 10.00

Like John, I have the collection of Leica News and Technique. I would also like to second Dan's comments on the Theo Scheerer book. I bought the revised 1970 edition new in that year for $10.00. A great source of info.

Another favourite is the Morgan and Morgan Leica Manual, 15th edition.

An "old" one that is really interesting for me is "Snow Canvas, Ski, men and mountains with the Leica". By Professor Stefan Krukenhauser