120 film on calumet 4X5 for panoramic images?

ty_nagl

Is there a 120 film back for 4X5 cameras made so that one could take panaramic

exposers on 120 film maby 2X5 inches if the fiml reals were external on both

sides theroeticaly I could use the full 5 inches of film to get a panoramic

image--- i have thought of trying to make one myself but seems like someone

should have thought of this before me

Or you could cut a 2.25x5 opening in a spare 4x5 film holder dark slide to make a panoramic mask.

The only reasonably priced 6x12 back is the new Shen-Hao. Converting a Cambo/Wista/Horseman 6x7/6x9 RF back (which are inexplicably half the price of the 6x12 versions) would be daunting...you'd have to modify the advance gearing and spacing, enlarge the film window opening, build a wider pressure plate, and who knows what else.

Hi Ty

You can shoot several hundred sheets of full frame 4 x 5 for the cost of a pano back alone, not to mention film, use the whole sheet, then crop to whatever width you want. Simple? Colour may be a bit more expensive, but then again a dedicated 6 x 9 camera, like a Fuji GSW is wondferful for that.

You owe me 2 cents.

Cheers

Da Yi also make a very nice 6x17 back that'll fit on the International (Graflock) back. If your Calumet is a later model, it should have that kind of back.

They also make a far less expensive 6x12 back, all metal. (Watch out for the plastic ones, or so I hear.)

Anyway, I've got the 6x17, which also has masks for 6x14 and 6x12, and I like it a lot.

My problem is when I try to crop 4x5 or larger, I have a hard time with it because the negs are so beautiful....

Ty, the most reasonable thing to to do is shoot 4x5 and trim it down to the size you like. There are reasonably priced used lenses from 65mm, 75mm, 90mm, 120mm, 150mm, 180mm, and 210mm. There are less reasonably priced lenses covering 4x5 in 47mm and 58mm.

Ideally, I would shoot 4x5, process in tray, scan into the computer and make the darned thing any aspect ratio I or you would like. With a reasonable priced Epson printer such as the 1280 (now selling used for $200 or less) you can make 13" x 32.5" prints on roll paper. That should certainly get most viewers attention.

Lynn

In my own quest for 6x17 pano pics, I first tried a DaYi 6x17 roll film back on a 4x5 camera. The big problem for me ? I couldnt focus on the ground glass - WAY TOO DARK. When I did manage to focus, the resulting negs from the DaYi back were adequate.<p>Next I tried the Fuji G617. Love the camera - see my web page on this <a href="http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/617.htm">camera</a>, but alas, I didnt think the negs were much ( if any ) better than the MUCH cheaper DaYi/Camera combo AND I was constantly shooting 1/30 sec and SLOWER..<p>Now, as one reader above suggested, I am using a Fuji GSW690 with its roughly 56mm x 76mm film area and cropping down to 28mm x 76mm for a 3:1 ratio. Think about it...with the Fuji690, you get 28mm of negative on the short end...about 16% more than an XPan would give you, the film flatness in the Fuji690 is VASTLY superior to the Fuji G617 or any roll film back, I get RF focusing, a much smaller package/weight, similiar focal length, and the Fuji GSW690 is EASY to crop - I am basically just cutting off the top 14mm of the neg and the bottom 14mm of the neg, leaving the middle 28mm as my image area....no need to futz with the long end of the neg in cropping. And since I have about 28mm of neg left, enlarging to a 8 inch by 24 inch final print only requires a total enlargement of about 7.3 times which is easily handled by the high resolution glass on the Fuji GSW690... An Xpan would need an 8 times enlargement to get to 8"x24"....and while the Fuji G617 only would need a 3.75 times enlargement to get to 8"x24" - the fairly low resolution of its 105mm F8 lens, combined with any film flatness issues, combined with the need to stop WAY down for DOF which then conjures up diffractions issues.....the Fuji GSW690 has become ( for now ) my solution to quality 8"x24" images. Phew...I'm tired just thinking about all this....<p>

Dan<p>

PPS - I wish photo.net allowed editing of posts like other sites<p>

Some more thoughts: The Fuji GSW690 was made in 3 models....they run, used, for between $ 750 - $ 1250 depending on mileage and model. The older models are heavier, made with more metal, and are less ergonomically designed. The 65mm F 5.6 Lens is the SAME on all models...It has 6 elements in 4 groups and is the equivalent to a 28mm lens on 35mm format ( diagonal ). The GSW690's are NOT easy to find... I bought a Model I from keh.com for $ 850. Late Model III's almost always sell for over $ 1,000 on ebay.<p>A manual for the GSW690II can be found <a href="http://www.artigue.com/fuji/FUJI_GW_GSW_II_INSTR.pdf">here...</a><p>

Model Dates<p>

GSW690 1983 -

1986 <p>

GSW690 II

1986 -

1993 <p>

GSW690 III

1992 -

2003<p>

Dan

• 1 year later...