Linhof shutter problem..

- shtativ

Hi,

your lens is just marked Linhof and has a Linhof-styled front-plate. Inside it's a Synchro-Compur. If the size is identical you may try to swap the lens elements. Measure the total length of the lens mounted in the shutter before and after this operation to see wether it fits. Additionaly you should check the position of the aperture-blades which can be critical to get the best performance of the lens. Some lenses have shim rings to adjust the position of the elements inside the shutter. If you can swap the elements and something is wrong you will see it on the groundglass or at least when enlarging.

But a CLA would be the better option as you get the original shutter back working.

The small shutter in this lens (outstanding lens by the way) is wound a little tight!<G> It is THE lens that requires the most CLA in my arsenal, but it's worth it. While not designed as a 4x5 lens because of coverage issues, I use it stopped way down all the time and get superb results. It is very sharp.

CLA=Cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.

I have used Linhof large format for years. My advice is go to a repair shop to have repairs

done. The distance between the front element, and the back

element of any lens is critical,once they are screwed into the shutter. One can't just switch

shutters.

Just CLA the shutter that is sticking. Shouldn't cost more than $75, good $ would be $50.

Grimes or DAG, would be good, Krimar in New Jersey (My choice) google for directions. ...

etc.

rafael