Rolleiflex Hy6 (also Sinar Hy6 & Leaf AFi) - first impressions report

erik scanhancer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please allow me to supplement a bit information on new lenses from Rolleiflex, provided by Erik few topics above. According to my sources, the wide-angle lens "Flektogon" should be 35mm/f 3.5 HFT AF lens, not f2.8 (however, there might be a typo as well, time will prove this up?). The Flektogon will be a PQS lens and available in the first quarter of 2007.

<br>

<br>

Rollei (F&H) will optimize the current line of AF lenses for digital and there will be a "D" behind the lens name. It is planned to deliver these lenses with a black bayonet mount instead chrome. Availability: IV quarter.

<br>--

<br>Kind regards,

<br>Oleg (aka <b>oMoses<b>)

<br><a href="http://www.pbase.com/omoses">oMoses online portfolio</a>

Erik & Oleg,

Thank you very much for the information posted.

What is the status of the Rollei electronic shutters for view camera lenses, along with the Lens

Control S? Now that the Hy6 has a USB interface, will there be a new Lens Control (hopefully

smaller)?

BJ, the USB interface on the Hy6 will be for communication between the camera and the

computer (keyboard control and firmware updating). Next to it there is an 8 pin universal

bus for use with normal remote cables and other portable control devices. The Rollei Lens

Control S has little to do with this and needs special cabling with low resistance between

unit and shutter because the current is directly opening and closing the shutter. I don't

expect that cable to be changed. Theoretically it would be possible to change the remote

controlling of the Lens Control S. However, at the Photokina it was still presented as we

know it and I heard nothing about any changes to it. I'm pretty sure highest F&H priority is

with the Hy6 at the moment and changes of the kind that you propose will only get their

attention after they have made the big news a physical reality.

Thank you again Erik,

I've been sending Michael Guthmann @ Jenoptik my suggestions. Do you have another

contact at F&H?

It would be great if the grip/handle with LCD and battery could detach and become the new

version of Lens Control S for Rollei's electronic shutters for Schneider Digitar lenses.

BJ, why did you send your suggestions to Jenoptik? The X-act is an F&H product, so they

would be the ones to implement any changes. Anyway, the grip of the Hy6 will not come

off, because a detaching mechanism would take up too much space and call for detachable

cabling as well. Anything that would jeopardize the Hy6's convenience and reliability

should be avoided IMO. Also, part of the electronics are located in the Hy6 body, so I think

this is not a realistic idea. This is not saying that a further development of the X-act

couldn't profit of the Hy6 development. Who knows what surprises will be seen in the

future?

If you want to send your suggestions to F&H use the info on their contact page, as

described higher up in this thread. I know a few people there, but I am not going to

exchange their names on the internet. Hope you can understand that.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the new F&H Hy6 is a step in the right direction. I loved my 6003 and sold it thinking it was obsolete. Instead I now stuggle with a digital SLR that at best limits my creativity. I often find myself reaching for my TLR, just so I can remind myself that things were much better once. Now that Franke & Heidecke are finally showing they mean business, I'm looking forward to the day I can purchase one and get serious again. The new camera has all the features that made the 6000 series great but digital integration. With different backs, not just one like Hasselblad.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

There is no doubt that the Rolleiflex Hy6 in Sinar and in Leaf guise,

will be a major contender against their main rival from the Hasselblad H-3. One important element in the Franke-Heidecke Sinar,Leaf and Rolleiflex Hy 6 is the fact that the digital backs offered surpass that of the H-3,in terms of mega-pixel count; 60 MP compared to 22-30 on the Hasselblad. The photographer of the Hy 6 system can transfer the file to Compact Flash Cards either to your MAC or PC, or insert CF Card into the camera and download it immediately after you have taken the shot.

The major feature of this new camera is that it allows the photographer to choose either 6X45 or 6X6 format. With the Hy 6 it even allows you to shoot film as well as digital.

Being an open system compared to the closed system of the Hasselblad H-3,this allows the photographer a choice of Leaf or Sinar digital back on each of the three cameras. With the H-3,it must use Hasselblad own digital back. Which is a bit of draw to anyone new to Hasselblad.

Another nice feature for current 6008AF owners, is that the lenses can be interchanged with the Hy6,this would ultimately give you the fastest flash-sync.leaf-shutter system ever of 1/1000 sec.

The price tag: The new Sinar Hy6/Sinarback eMotion 75LV medium-format digital camera system will begin shipping in the U.S. in mid-July with a suggested catalog price of $32,500. AnSinar Hy6/Sinarback eMotion 54LV will have a suggested catalog price of $30,500. The Sinar Hy6 System will be supported worldwide through authorized Sinar service centers.

Simon, which back has 60 MP? This seems to be misinformation.

Taking CF cards is hardly a new feature, and the Sinar backs have built-in memory which is even better (faster).

The major features of this platform are fastest flash sync speed of any camera, ability to shoot portrait and landscape with WLF, white balance meter, fastest autofocus of MF world, USB port for firmware updates, and great ergonomics.

I say this as someone who intends to buy a Hy6 but let's keep the facts straight.

Well, not only is 6o meg non-existant, the camera's STILL not available over a year later

from the original post date of this thread. I've been interested in the Leaf version for use

with my Leaf Aptus 75s ... to replace my aging RZ Mamiya system. I wonder when the

ceiling will be done??

I've read that you have to remove the digital back to re-orient current 645 sensors for

portrait orientation??? If true, what happened to the rotating back of the Rollei?

"fastest autofocus of MF world" ??? Speaking of facts, I wonder if this is true given that the

Hasselblad has just improved the AF on the H cameras?

Marc,

The camera should be available right now, because F&H is delivering to both Sinar and Leaf. As things are now Sinar is working on a truly rotating

adapter for their backs (already for some time) and Leaf has officially announced to make a rotating adapter too in the future. Originally only a

repositioning adapter was planned. The Rollei "rotating" film back was always a repositioning back anyway. How fast the autofocus is compared to

the new Hassy I couldn't tell because I haven't had a chance yet to compare them. But the Hy6 is damn fast for an MF camera.

• 1 month later...