PC's?

<p>Best softare I've ever used, and it's completely free.</p>

<p>Rename4u made by Kelly Software.</p>

<p>http://www.kellysoftware.com/software/Rename4u.asp</p>

<p>For your specific needs, you'll want to...</p>

<p>1. select the files to rename<br>

2. sort them by "Date Modified - Ascending" (top right corner)<br>

3. Go under the "Numbers" tab and choose the numbering format you want<br>

4. Click on "Test Output" (IMPORTANT) to see a preview before actually renaming them all.<br>

5. Rename the files (a thousand takes about a second).

</p>

<p>You might want to do a test with a few backup files before so you can get used to the software, but it works perfectly for almost any type or rename you can think of.</p>

The $T option of IrfanView's batch/rename function can insert file date and time into a renamed file. This would be the date/time, that you modified the file, I assume. You could then employ a two stage process, first renaming your files with the date/time incorporated into the file name. They are then sorted in the correct order. In a second step you can again use IrfanView's batch rename function, but this time you apply $N in combination with a counter (#). Haven't actually tested this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I like <a href="http://www.1-4a.com/">1-4a Rename</a> - I use it for simple tasks like renaming ugly file suffixes (e.g. JPG) to their proper form (e.g. JPEG). I also use it to remove spaces from files I get from the Internet and other more involved tasks. It's pretty powerful but not beautiful. But don't let its ordinary looks put you off because it really is a good app. And it's free.

Is there a reason why you need to rename using "Date Modified"? After backing up to disc using the original file numbers, I then immediately rename the files on my hard drive using "Date Created", before doing any sorting, ranking, editing, etc. However, as mentioned above, Adobe Bridge has both options so I'm unsure what issues you are having.

Another two programs I use and love (especially if using two cameras or more) are BreezeBrowser Pro and Downloader Pro. (Free to try and $90 if purchased together). Downloader allows you to rename in a variety of ways, but also autorotates and can let you set your ppi size (i.e. Canon's default 72ppi can be set to 300ppi).

BreezeBrowser Pro is similar to Adobe Bridge where you can sort and organize in a variety of ways. An additional feature is that you can reset your "Date Created" settings, in case you had the wrong date and time for your event, or you forgot to sync your multiple cameras prior to shooting. This is invaluable to me from a wedding standpoint, where even a difference of a few seconds spoils the flow of the day, especially at key moments (e.g., bride and groom giving first kiss).

www.breezesys.com/products.htm