when did 220 die?!

hi all. i'm getting ready to go on a shoot in texas, getting all my camera stuff together, buying film, etc.

much to my chagrin, i'm not able to find kodak plus-x 220 film. i loved this film, and it was nice to get

thrity frames in large format negative. i never heard a word about kodak discontinuing this film. have i

had my head in the sand, or was this a recent thing? i'm so upset. what is a film photographer to do?

sometimes it seems that no matter how much i value film, it doesn't matter, because it's going to be

discontinued regardless. why do the companies make buying and using their product so hard for us?

Hi,

I asked Kodak recently, and this is their answer about PXP 220:

"I am sorry to say that Kodak Professional Plus-X 220 is no longer being

made, but we do continue to make Kodak Professional Tri-X Film in 220,

catalog #828-6825.

If you should have additional questions, please be sure to revisit our

site as we are continually adding information to enhance our support. "

Just about the only people who used 220 were studio/production photographers and the wedding shooters. These people are going digital en-masse and the market for 220 is probably nill these days. I shoot Medium Format for my own pleasure and I find it difficult to go through just one roll of 120 in a day of shooting. I venture to guess many others have the same experience. MF isn't the type of thing where you often burn through film in rapid fashion unless of course you are the above mentioned professionals. Don't be too concerned however. If there ever was a "redundant" format, 220 would be it. Losing it doesn't mean the end to anything except a few extra frames on a roll. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with an obscure camera that only accepts 220 rollfilm, but for the most part its loss won't render anything obsolete.

I have some 220 Plus-X stored away so I will enjoy it for a little while longer. Last week I bought a beautiful 1-reel Nikor wide spaced 220 tank/reel set for about $11! A few weeks earlier I got the same set for $35. Now I have three 1-reel sets and one 2-reel set. I'd better stock up on 220 TXP now while I still can.

Regina,

I understand your frustration when a favorite film goes away. However, as was stated above, Plus-X 120 IS still available, and in my call to EK, they stated it would be around (as well as Tri-X) in all current formats, for years to come.

220 lacked the paper backing, and was prone to scratching easier. I'm preparing a trip to Germany this Fall, and will be shooting Efke 100 in 120. Having to change rolls a little more often is a small price to pay to ensure a paper backing.

"220 lacked the paper backing, and was prone to scratching easier. I'm preparing a trip to Germany this Fall, and will be shooting Efke 100 in 120. Having to change rolls a little more often is a small price to pay to ensure a paper backing."

...Especially since Efke & Bergger films scratch VERY easily.

I stopped at Unique Photo in Florham Park, NJ today. They too are out of Plus-X in 220 size. I picked up a pro-pak of TXP 220. They should have 85 rolls left. At some point I'm sure TXP 220 will also be discontinued but now I have a little more to use in my MF cameras and my 220 Nikor tanks. As far as we know Fuji is still making color film in 220 size. It would be nice if they could roll some ACROS and Neopan 400 in 220 format.

"it would be around (as well as Tri-X) in all current formats, for years to come."

Joe, Kodak said that a few times before, only to do the opposite a few weeks later... I can't imagine them discontinuing those films, but you never know with the economics of film these days...

• 2 weeks later...
hey all. you know, i have to say, for those who say the death of 220 is no big deal, well, it is. it helped me to shoot medium format almost with the same convenience of 35mm, with the ability to shoot 30 shots on a roll. also, i was considering purchasing a mamiya 7, and then i could shoot 18 shots using plus-x. now, i would only be able to shoot 9! there's no longer an incentive for me to purchase plus-x. on my last shoot, i used all delta 100.