Anyone Else Sick of Error 99?

steve_koopman

• 2 weeks later...

Got a case of the dreaded err 99 on my 5D in the middle of a wedding last weekend, mirror seems to be locking in the up position. Turning of and on and pressing shutter button restores operation.

Usually happens when shooting continous for a few seconds. 5D is about 14 months old, shot approx 28000 images. Not lens related, as will display problem with no lens attached.

Pretty disappointed in this, thought shutters were supposed to last 100,000 cycles, however could be some other problem I guess. Not that keen on taking it in to canon and not having it for weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the err 99 with mirror locked up problem as above? It's not dirty contacts, battery problems or grip issues, have checked these.

Might be a cracked board?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 5 months later...

I think I am a little late to the party, but heres my 2cents:

I have had many Canon dSLRs, and I got error 99s only once in a while, very rare. In face so rare that every time I had to go look it up to refresh what it was. It was always a one time thing, turned the camera off, back on and went back to doing what i was doing.

That is until last week when I got a used lens. It had been cleaned by canon, so I didnt think to check it. So as I used it, I started getting error 99 much more frequently. 4 times out of 30 or so photos. Also just shutting the camera off would clear it for a while. I then cleaned the contacts of the lens and have not seen it the last few days.

But to help you, Canon says when youve tried all the things you have tried, and the error still shows, it means something is messed up in the camera and you should send it in for service. Simple as that. Parts go bad. As to up and switching to another brand, that is an option. But know that every Nikon I have owned has had issues resulting in being sent in for repair. I guess that call is up to you. Either way, I wish you better luck!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>I have to say I feel your pain. My 30d gets err 99 messages ALL THE TIME, and it is seriously effecting my work. I was just shooting an event for the opening of the Seattle Art Museum with a few big names and the camera crapped out on me. It was extremely embarrassing and I didn't get the shot. And for me, it has started to happen every other photo which renders the camera useless.<br>

The problem is that no one knows how to fix err 99 it seems. So this camera which I paid good money for is done... and I can't sell it back to a store in good conscience (sp?) so I'm out the money. Doesn't seem like it should be the end of the camera, but I can't have it malfunctioning at a shoot. Oh...... *tear.</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I didn't want to create a new post but thought I'd contribute my experience to this three year old thread...I have a 5D and it recently, after a project where I took 2-3k photos, began giving err 01 and 99 messages with all my Canon brand lenses and using different CF cards and even without a card in it.<br>

It has had numerous symptoms that have sort of devolved into the latest symptoms: when I turn camera on the top display reads properly, but I cannot access the menu or playback. When I press the shutter nothing happens. I have tried to reset the camera (regular battery and clock battery) with no success. The camera was purchased used so I have no idea of the shutter count but it is in physically mint condition. I think it may be a failed shutter or mirror because when it started having issues the mirror would lock up during the error and I'd have to push the shutter release again to get it down. <br>

Will be sending it to Canon regardless but thought I'd put this out there if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks. </p>