DSLR K10D

yann_r.

<i>How well does it shoot?</i> Don't know more than you, maybe as well as you're writing pertinent comments.<br>

<i>How are its images in bright and low light?</i> 3872x2592 pixels large.<br>

<i>Why does Pentax only offer two-inch long jpeg thumbnails as examples?</i> I'll ask them ASAP.

Yann, do you shoot with Pentax? I have the *istD and I am looking forward to the K10D. The camera does some interesting things for the price point, but the best attribute of Pentax DSLRs continues to be the "backwards compatibility" of lens use. As Z points out, the proof will be in the pudding, and my understanding is Pentax is putting the final touches on the firmware (which is worrisome, but not enough for me to take my name of the list of buyers). I have a not inconsiderable sum of money tied up in Pentax glass, so their continued commitment to DSLRs is just as important to me as the ultimate success of the camera (in fact, you can't separate commitment from success).

Hi Chris,<p align="justify">

No, I'm not shooting with Pentax. I'm not shooting with DSLR in fact but because I'm still looking for the body I could buy, this K10D has caught my mind: on paper, its features looks very interesting (a very good body and pentaprism indeed) and Pentax should show two great lenses at the Photokina to go with it: a 16-50 f/2.8 and a 50-135 f/2.8.<br>

Of course, reviews must be edited but I guess this gear will have a nice success against Canon's 400D and Nikon's D80.</p>

The K10D has a lot of potential, and havs generated a lot of excitement. If it lives up to its high expectations, I think it will be out of stock until 2007. I read somewhere that Pentax will be manufacturing around 15,000 bodies a month, which is probably not enough to meet demand if the reviews are good.

I'm one of those people who finds the specs exciting, most especially because I've always liked the look from many of Pentax's lens designs, and I have a couple of old Pentax screwmount lenses in a closet somewhere.

Pentax has stopped manufacture of most of their old lens line. Given that the K10D will now take USM-type lenses, I expect in 2007 we'll begin to see a whole new line (perhaps with old lens designs -- who knows?) with embedded lens motors. That should bring Pentax's AF speeds up to those of C* and N*. But they'd better do it sooner than later....

No doubt. The camera is merely a tool, the lenses are the key. If the body lives up to the hype, having a half dozen benchmark lenses released 3 to 6 months after might just save Pentax from being a footnote in photography texts. It's not enough for Pentax to please the "believers", Pentax has to add converts for the bottom line.