juergenf

It seems that street photography somehow always means 'available light'

photography.

Just recently however, while looking at some of Winogrand's photos

in 'Figments from the real world', I realised that he did use flash light on

some occasions, especially the photos taken at the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show

and Rodeo.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to street photography and the use of

flash lights. However, I also know that it is a controversial subject as well.

I would love to read some of your opinions though.

Juergen

You're much more likely to be challenged or threatened when using flash. In some contexts more than others - I can easily imagine people at a show such as the Stock Show above expecting to be photographed - less so on the street. A friend was threatened with a knife.

Bruce Gilden did this a lot.

How brave and/or big and/or fast are you?

IMO, Street Photography is a voyeristic practice. The kind of "see and not be seen by" photography. I personally do not want my subjects to be concious of my presence. I believe that it alters the state of the individuals or individual and thereby brings an unwanted third dimension to my shot, Posing, Pretence, Concious Participation. (Sorry, it's a complex third dimension). Most times I snap and move. If someone notices me I lift or drop the lens away from them. If they ask me what I am doing, I tell them. No BS, just plain "I am photographing you because you interested me." Note the past tense.

With flash, you are compromising your annonimity and thereby the, IMO, the purpose of what you are trying to achieve. Good, interesting, well executed images of random people, in random spaces, doing random things.

I would also tend to draw a difference between Street and Situational photography. Street - unconcious. No sanction Situational - concious but busy with their process ala the Linogrand and the Rodeo. They were aware of his presence and he had their sanction.

It is once again a subjective thing and perhaps one of interpretation.

Regards

though there're one or two great street photographers typical of using flash all the time, most of them would never even consider it. it's a basic rule that the street photographer should try to hide his gears and himself as possible as he can, and flash obviously contributes the opposite way.

I have a flash, but only use it once in a year or two, shooting some wedding photos for my firends.

Flash can really make a difference if like me you find yourself shooting in lots of bright sunlight. I gave up trying to get a decent print out of the example below. When going for candids turn the flash off and then back on if you want a posed shot.

I'm trying to make some headway into the underground club scene and the only way I think I can really expect to shoot in this kind of enviroment is to use flash. Should be fun even if I end up blowing a few rolls trying to get the hang of it.<div>00INUl-32885784.jpg.eb72ab807c976ec262a3c45c794033fd.jpg</div>

I agree with Johns bottom line "how brave, big and fast are you?", although I believe parts of Europe to be not that dangerous and when I see young ladies fireing flash after flash with their digi P&Ss I'm wondering why I shouldn't do the same, but I still feel reluctant to mount a strong Metz and fireing it at random people for no greater purpose than my own delight. If I'm working half officially things change. Unluckily I'm the worst pokerplayer ever, so I feel unable to make up a vague reason why I bother people at all.

You gotta come to Times Square at night. There are so many flashes going off your own hot-shoe mounted unit would never be noticed.

Of course every place is not Times Square, but what goes on in Times Square goes on wherever a lot of people congregate, day or night.

"I'm trying to make some headway into the underground club scene and the only way I think I can really expect to shoot in this kind of enviroment is to use flash."

Not necessary if you push the film or make use of the blur. Low light isn't easy technically (you end up over or under-exposing often), however. Contrast is not always possible to get right. I do find that the flash makes things look raw and uglier, and it is popular for this sort of subjects, but use it differently.