Do you like the vertical grip on the D200 or F100?

josephwalsh

Added bulk, added weight versus convenient shutter release, more versatile

battery power, bigger gripping surface.

I'm unsure. What do you owners recommend?

Those of you who've purchaced same, are you glad you did?

Do you use it all the time? Sometimes? Not anymore?

I use a vertical grip (MB-10) on a N90s when I need extra gripping surface for large lenses,

long lenses, or fiddly lenses like a PC lens; it seems to balance the camera better, makes

the whole setup easier to hold, and it certainly makes vertical composition easy. I have

looked at the vertical grip for the D200 and was tempted to get it since it takes AA

batteries, which you can find almost anyplace on the globe, but in the end, I didn't want to

add the additional bulk to the D200 (the MB-10 uses the same four AA batteries that the

N90s uses, so it doesn't add much additional weight at all). I use the vertical grip only

when I know I'm going to use a large or long lens, and I'm happy that I got the MB-10. I'd

say that if a particular vertical grip allows you to use AA batteries, you tend to use large/

long lenses a lot, or if you shoot most of your pics in vertical format, then get one; if your

needs don't meet these criteria, then I'd spend the extra money on film or a memory card.

I have the d200 with the vertical grip and love it.

It is surprisingly light in weight and makes the camera much more comfortable to hold, especially if you have larger hands. I also like that I don't have to worry about running out of battery power and can use AA batteries if I do. I use it all the time.

I would suggest you try it out at a camera store yourself before you buy it.

I also love the D200 vertical grip.

It feels great in my hands, mainly because I am also used to the F5 and the n90s-mb10, great balance.

I really like the fact that you can have 2 batteries in the camera. When one gets low, it automatically switches to the other. Lets you know which battery has what charge remaining and how many pics each has taken.

Plus, the AA holder for backup.

Plus, the vertical shutter release.

The only thing I don't like is the big thumbwheel to attach it to the camera body with. For me, it has a tendency to loosen after a while, have to keep tightening it.

The grip for the F100 saved a vacation for me. I had broken my right arm 4 days before going to Zion and Bryce Canyon. I was unable to hold a camera up to my eye with my right arm because of the brace, but with the MB-15 and DR-3 right angle finder I was able to look down into the viewfinder and shoot with the shutter release on the grip.

The F100 grip isn't good for use on a tripod, though - there is some flexing between the body and grip that won't go away with any amount of tightening.

I have them on both my d 200 and f 100. I use them all the time mostly for the reasons already cited above. The added batttery power is a plus in most shooting conditions. One other reason especially relevant for long lens shooters--the added weight to the camera makes balancing the camera/lens combo easier on a gimbal head or ball head. Joe Smith

I like the MBD200...the camera is easier to grip; the vertical controls are nice and the extra battery life is a plus if shooting events... I agree that it is a bit flimsy, the tightening wheel tends to loosen a little. I have had no problem with the batteries draining.

The MB-D200 is useful if you shoot a lot in portrait mode -- it's much more ergonomic to use for hours. I have not noticed the battery drain problem (yet?). I leave the camera on all of the time when I'm working, sometimes twelve-hour days. Beyond that, it makes the camera heavier and much bulkier -- you may need a new bag to accommodate it.

I'm a little disappointed that Nikon left the voice recorder off of the MB-D200. It's not a huge thing, but I used it on my D100 for voice notes.

As to battery drain when the camera is off: I put a fresh battery in the right slot on Sunday morning and it showed 98%. Just now it showed 98%. The camera has been off for three days now, batteries in. The other slot shows 49% left after 247 shots on Sunday. It appears that the batteries are not drained by leaving them in the grip, as some people have experienced.

Thanks to all who responded.

Although the verdict is mixed, there are enough positives to convince me to at least try it.

I'll try one for my D200.

I shoot with the 300mm f4 AF-S, sometimes on a tripod, sometimes on a monopod. Soon I'll use a 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR. That will be tripod, monopod and hand held.

I'm shooting horses, usually horizontal but vertical on portraits.

Thank you again for your opinions. I value them all highly.

JWW