there�s too much play between 80-200 f/2.8 AFD and F100

henry_alive

Henry:

I'd been wondering about this as well.

I've noticed similar squishiness with the 80-200 on my D70 and thought it might have something to do with the lens not being DX (as my other lenses are). Your experience on an F100 kills that theory I suppose. At at rate, the play you describe tracks with my own experience and it doesn't feel normal, though the lens works fine as far as I can tell. Maybe this can be parlayed into a reason to trade up to a beefier camera?

Best

Rotational in the mount? That's pretty normal.

Compare the size of the body's lens locking pin with the size of the cavity on the lens. You'll see where the play comes from.

Surprisingly, I have never had the temporary 'brain dead/can't find CPU' probles with this lens. I would associate that with missed connections. I have had that problem with some other lenses like the 24-50 and the 35-70.

This was discussed quite a bit several years ago. I had the same experience with the that lens and one other on an F5. Many of us talked to Nikon who confirmed that the slight rotational play is normal. Never affected anything in my use of the lens so I quit worrying about it.

Henry,

No great words of wisdom to add, just some experience. I to have had the same

experience, the lens feels a tad loose on my D70s but snug on my N80. Fired off 8000

images using the lens with the D70s during last years hockey season. This season the

lense fit is unchanged and is working just fine so I'm with Bob I don't worry about it

anymore.<div>00I5oB-32446484.jpg.4b9ff5e2667440f32e47afdc9fbdbfae.jpg</div>