should look at? I really like the a620 more but its lcd is 'only' 2 inches. I

think I should go for the 2.5" one, eventhough I will sacrifice some other

qualities of the a620. Please mention any camera that you think might work, I

would like to order it tomorrow.

Thanks,

:)

ZAch

I forgot to mention two things...

1)Most of here photos are of children (indoors and outdoors) and at parties and weddings (mostly indoors)

2)The main concerns I have with the a540 are a) Noise at higher ISOs since she takes a lot of indoor pics b)Flash power and coverage c) The quality of the LCD, I hear it is grainy...

Zach

Zachary,

The Canon A540 is a very good camera. But, I feel the Canon A620 is the camera to buy, even though the LCD screen is slightly smaller. The overall specifications of the A620 are better in all catagories, except size ( the A620 is slightly larger). But I personally like the size of the A620 better, for feel.

The A620 provides the photographer with many automatic settings and also manual-like control (Aperature Priority or Shutter Priority Control) of the camera for the more experienced photographer. The A620 "noise" or "picture grain" at ISO settings (50, 100, 200, & 400) produce excellent pictures at ISO 50 and 100 and 200, and very acceptable pictures even at ISO 400. Not many Point and Shoot cameras can make this claim... except a few of the Fujifilm P&S's that are reportably better.

Check out these two reviews by Steve's Digicam and DPReview.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona620/

I'd buy the Canon A620... it's a quality camera, overall.

Use the search function of this forum... you'll find plenty of opinions on the cameras that interest you within this forum.

I hope this helps.

//Chuck

The A700 has the advantage of including image stabilization and should certainly be considered.

Regardless of your choice, you should not make this a surprise. You should take her to a camera store and have her hold various models. See which ones she can use and can hold.

Zach,

The A700 doesn't have the "solid feel" that the A620 does, but it does provide additional features that the A620 doesn't have... like a 6 times optical zoom, ISO to 800 (not sure it's clean enough to use), and, of course the 2.5" LCD screen.

It is about $30 more than the A602 at B&H Photo.

Here's a link to DPReview of the Canon A700.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona700/

//Chuck

I too need reading glasses to see the LCD of the camera so I normally use the Electronic Viewfinder. You DO NOT HAVE to use the LCD with a digital ... you can use the optical or EVF just the same as she has done with the film cameras she has used in the past.