Hi Folks,<br><br>

I've been oogleing over large format cameras for some time now, and have been

doing a lot of reading about them. Yet when it comes to comparing prices and

features the internet appears to stop short...the only place I can see them and

read about them is eBay, which is not really a comprehensive source of all

models. B&H and Adorama have the typical Wistas & Horsemans, but I can't seem

to find any place that sells all kinds of models from Shen Hao to Zone VI to

Wisner to Phillips. I'm particularly interested in the Phillips; I've read some

wonderful things about them yet can't seem to price them/see them anywhere.

Wisner has an informative sight but I've read that if they don't have one in

hand to sell you then don't bother. Should I be looking in large format

magazines?<br><br>

Your help is much appreciated.<br><br>

Sincerely,<br>

Alec Simonson

Phillips is sold directly by Dr. Phillips, wait is over a year and he is apparently winding down production. There doesn't seem to be any good single source for information. View Camera Magazine is probably as good place as any. www.badgergraphic.com sells many brands, but not much specific information.

Sometimes you can find an extensive collection of View Camera magazines for auction on

eBay, and over the years they have done great profiles on numerous models. Other than

that, this forum is a great source for practical user feedback on every model of camera.

Perhaps you might try outlining in detail what you plan to do with your camera, and let the

folks here recommend cameras they are familiar with. In terms of field cameras, my

favorites are Canham's DLC metal 4x5, the Canham standard wood field 4x5/5x7, and the

Arca-Swiss F-Field.

Good luck with your search for the perfect camera!

- Justin

The LF market doesn't seem large enough to support a retailer that stocks new cameras from all of the makers. Some dealers are known for specializing in a particular make (maybe in addition to a general stock of several other makes). Several makers only or mostly sell direct to the buyer. Wisner seems to have suspended business. Phillips sells directly and is reducing the number of models that he makes. Many prefer to buy used cameras, which is a matter of checking with several dealers, or waiting for your favorite dealer to have one, or using eBay.

Browsing the archives here can be educational. Of course you can ask additional specific questions. There are some reviews at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/. Some past technical articles of View Camera magazine are available on CDs (http://www.viewcamera.com/store.html).

Alec,

I'd concur with Randy on both of his recommendations!

Those two sellers won't lead you astray and are as honest as the day is long!

Yup, e**y is another viable option. But, you sure do need to go into that area with some

preparation and knowledge. There are some great sellers on there and... there are some

gad-awful ones. So, be very careful!

Good luck...

Cheers

One reason you don't find many comparisons of features in LF cameras, is that there's not much difference across the lot. You've got monorails that generally offer all possible movements, and field cameras that are more portable but usually at the expense of some movements. Beyond that they're all essentially the same, and a lot more money buys only a little more stiffness or a fancier widget here and there.

The other thing you mention -- price -- is what separates the classes. With an order of magnitude separating the low end from the luxury models, there's still very little difference in the end product. Decide how much you want to spend on the box that goes between the lens and film, and you'll reduce the field to two or three.

Better yet, choose your lenses and then select a camera that will work well with all of them.

Boy.

<p>

You know, while I entered with an Arca Swiss, I shoot mostly a much less expensive

Graflex Super Graphic. Why ogle over large format when you can jump in at pretty low

entry points and get a tremendous feel for the format without dropping large bucks.

<p>

Or, consider renting anything and trying it out.

<p>

I concur about Jim at <a href="http://www.mpex.com">Midwest Photo</a> and

<a href="http://www.badgergraphic.com/">Badger Graphic</a>.

<a href="http://www.photomark.com/">Photo Mark</a> in Arizona is also good.

Don't assume the web sites have all the scoop or the best prices. My conversations

with Jim at Midwest have always been educational and cost effective:-)

Try Quality Camera Company in Atlanta, http://www.qualitycamera.com/

They have a large & variety stock of different types of large format cameras, new and used, as well as lens, film holders, tripods, heads, and other accessories. I've dealt with them for at least twelve years and they are good people to know.

And yes Wisner is very problematic to deal with.

Concur with all that has been said. For used Jim at Midwest is the best bet for new Midwest

and Badger the best selection at the best prices. If you can get to the View Camera

Conference in Rockford, IL this weekend you will have the opportunity to see a vrey wide

variety of cameras at the various vendors and at the "Speed Date a Camera" session.

Thanks everyone, your responses were very helpful. I guess Michael Briggs summed it up when he said, "The LF market doesn't seem large enough to support a retailer that stocks new cameras from all of the makers." Nonetheless, the places you pointed me to look great and I'll check them out.<br><br>

Alan, I appreciate your comments on the differences (or lack thereof) between many models. I realize there are many cameras out there that are gorgeous, yet offer the same amount of movements as less expensive versions. I'm looking for a field camera (hemming and hawing over size), and weight is a big deal. Yet I still want the camera to have some rear movements as well. I'll try very hard to keep your comments in mind whilst shopping. It will be difficult!<br><br>

In the meantime, I'll dig up some view camera magazines (LOL, or read them in the Newsstands) and see what I can find there. Thanks again for your thoughtful responses! I'll keep checking back if anyone thinks of or finds another place.<br><br>

Cheers!<br>

--A

Alec: Find a decent local Camera Shop and more than likely they will have some LF equipment on consignment sale in the "dark corner" of the store. Most older LF equipment is bulky and heavy. The tripod for such a camera also needs to be sturdy to avoid "trembling legs" syndrome, so now you have TWO heavy pieces of equipment to struggle with. What this really means (rarely mentioned) is that LF photographers need "slaves" to help them carry this equipment to their places of work. Such working parties are usually called "assistants", "associates", or "girlfriends" (These usually leave quickly when they realize that they're less important than the equipment).

LOL, John! My wife is very good about helping me out, usually out of pity. (and that's with my current medium format system) But what you describe brings back images of the good old days of the early 20th century when the Brits had the locals carry their furniture into the jungle. Who needs a lapdesk when you can have you're regular desk/armoire transported into the forest? Sadly, those days were well before my time. The photos of such expeditions always make me laugh, though.<br><br>

I'm in NYC, so my "local camera stores" are pretty cleaned out of any deals on older systems, and the "dark corner" is usually hopping. But I'll keep my eye out when we leave the metropolis.<br><br>

Cheers!<br>

--A

Alec, if you're looking for light weight, check out the Tachihara. It has tilts both front and rear, swings both front and rear, plus front rise/fall. The swings on both standards mean you can create a shift by swinging both standards so they remain parallel (yeah, it's less convenient but it's a field camera.) The Tachihara is one of the lightest field cameras available, and one of the least expensive.

hi from canada....i support the referral to jim andracki at midwest. wonderful human being and a store that gives good advice and very fair prices. but also check out www.apug.org and their classified section....i have a couple for sale.....a monorail and a field. Also decide if you wish to use horseman roll film backs (6x7,6x9,6x12) as not all cameras accept graphlok backs. the tachihara does not have a graphlok back and the shen hao that i held in my hands was less than well made (sorry shen hao lovers but this one wouldnt allow a film holder in the slot as the lacquer was too thick or something) very flimsy but almost 1/3 the price of my beautiful ebony rw45..pays your money, takes your chances. good luck and learn thru the forums here and on largeformatphotography.info....and you will be hooked from the moment you see your first large print