even think about attempting such a perilous task". Well, I just bit the bullet

and did it. After all, I have three of these things so the faulty one was a

backup. While I had the DP-12 in pieces on my desk, I took some photos of the

inner workings and made a web page that might help others who want to tinker

with this classic beast. The DP-12 is no longer shrowded in mystery and, no, it

is not impossible for the cautious and keen-sighted novice to repair if the

DP-12 has a loose wire, as mine did.

Someone please tell me if the page loads and looks OK because I am behind a

rather interesting network firewall that allows me to send data out but I cannot

see my own web site to confirm that it looks fine.

http://www.thirdrockphoto.com/Photo/DP-12_photos.html

Those are insanely large jpg files (1-1.5 MB). Nobody with a dialup connection is ever going to load that page successfully. You should edit the images down to the correct size (and use some compression), not use gigantic files and size them down with HTML tags.

Are you having trouble seeing it with your dial-up? My dialup loads all the images fully in less than a minute. But I will take some time later to add links to full-size images and make low res ones for initial viewing so it will load even faster. I don't want to eliminate the hi-res shots completely as some folks may want to see the details/wire colors, etc.

Thumbnails might help. I just tried it on a pretty fast (50K) dialup connection, and after the first two images loaded, it bogged down. I gave up after 5 minutes. Of course if I were about to open up a DP-12 I would probably wait a whole lot longer, but it might be a little frustrating. But you definitely would want to use as high res as needed to show any little wires.

Your loading speed might be faster if your browser has cached the images.

With a trip to the U.S. coming in July and a move to Shanghai coming in August, I wasn't sure I could take the time to update the page that I hastily threw out but now it's done so take a second look at http://www.thirdrockphoto.com/Photo/DP-12_photos.html

Now I think we can eat our cake and still have it (quick loading main page, medium size individual photo pages and super-grande detailed photos for those who want to see the gnat's eyelash.

• 16 years later...

Hi Lance! 

I'm interested in taking a look inside mine, but the link has [unsurprisingly] died in the 16+ years since you shared.

I was wondering if you would please be kind enough to re-share your pictures, or provide instructions?

Regards,

Jory

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, jorza said:

Hi Lance! 

I'm interested in taking a look inside mine, but the link has [unsurprisingly] died in the 16+ years since you shared.

I was wondering if you would please be kind enough to re-share your pictures, or provide instructions?

Regards,

Jory

The member has not been seen since October 2007.  You might be better served to post a new thread.

Last year I purchased a black paint '79 serial-numbered Nikon F2AS from Sover Wong, who had completely refurbished the body and meter head, including installation of his new resister ring in the DP12, so it'll go on for years and years. 

I'm not sure which is silkier in operation, the F2AS or a Leica M4 DAG serviced three years ago. I'll never part with either.

I paid Sover for the additional cost of adjusting the DP12 meter reading pattern to semi spot:

https://soverf2repair.webs.com/spot_metering

He sent me images from inside the body/meter head as he performed the work that I'll place in a web folder and link here later this weekend if you want to take a look at those.

Greg

Edited by Greg M
  • Like 1

I see the AS head still uses 'a bit of string' to connect the shutter-speed knob to the variable resistor. Just like the Photomic and F2A metering prisms before it. Something to watch out for if you're determined to take one of these things apart; since it's not easy to adjust to the right length if the 'string' breaks. 

If it ain't bust, don't fix it! 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

I doubt most could, but there are exceptions.

Check his web site. Sover has a two-year backlog of repairs;

https://soverf2repair.webs.com/

....and he's taking a limited workload after clearing that.

Plus, he sells F2's he's reconditioned. That's how I purchased mine from him, and it wasn't the same typical $300-$400 you can pay picking up a crap-shoot condition F2AS on ebay.

If I was in the UK I'd definitely check into one of his workshops.

Edited by Greg M

I couldn't, I picked up some bodies from KEH for about $9 each to try my hand at it, my fat fingers can't even pick up those tiny screws let alone put them back it the hole. and when I first opened one up, I knew I was over my head and that was just a Nikkormat, I could do some simple stuff but beyond that....