New Nikon 180 2.8 versus my older one

david lloyd

Hi all...

I've an older Nikon AF 180 2.8 lens, which I'm quite fond of. It's about 18 years old now It's an older

marque- with the smooth plasicy barrel.

Now I'm wondering if I'd be wasting time and money to replace it with a new one. That's because my

current one now has fungus within - a white spot about 2-3 mm in diameter, one third in from the outer

edge of the lens element. I'm not sure if it's on the outside on inside of it.

I'm told it's not worth spending for a cleanup. I'm also told the fungus wouldn't affect image quality of

photos either. I was told this by a reputable Nikon repairman (over the phone).

But the other point is - would a new Nikon lens focus faster/better than my old one on a Nikon d70s and

d200? (The olde one kinda hunts around a bit compared with my 18-70 Silent Wave.)

I'd be interested in any comments.

I'm trying not to justify a new lens for the sake of a 'nice new lens' :)

I am not a camera repair person, but as far as I know, fungus can grow and get worse inside a lens. Time is not exactly on your side. I would get it cleaned ASAP, unless the repair cost is so high (which I doubt) that it may make sense to replace instead of repair.

Focus speed will be the same. The changes made were stricly cosmetic although the new one will be "D" which will have a tiny improvement with flash exposure on Nikon flashes. If it bothers you, first try selling it at an attractive price on the net with full disclosure of the problem. You should get at least $200 if in decent shape other than the spot.

The common perception is that what we see inside the lens is the actual fungus. In fact what is visible is the by-product / result of the fungus and not the actual fungus. The fungus itself is essentially invisible to the naked eye and likely covers more area than the 'affected' area. Thus, it would stand to reason; the perceived problem is likely smaller than the real problem, unless the fungus is no longer spreading. The folks at Focal Point will concur.

Once you get an estimate I suspect you'll opt to either continue using it as-is or sell and replace.

Many thanks for your feedbacks :)

I think my best option is to either use this one for a bit longer - tho I'm wary of the fungus

being infectious - or sell it for a small sum, and that put it towards a more recent clean used

180. That would surely be more economical than a repair.