best paper for Van Dykes

siobhan1

I've used the Cranes Kid finish,gelatin sized, cornstarch sized,

and( my favorite )- 50/50 size of cornstarch and albumen which is a semi-matt(eggshell-go figure)finish,all with good success.I also have used Arches Aquarelle,both hot and cold pressed,and the Fabriano

Artistico with good success.

I had a few problems with the Rivers BFK,but that could have been a batch problem(or my problem)-I wouldn't rule it out-

As to the "best"- like enlarging paper,film,developer,etc,that's a matter of personal preference.Try as many as you can . If you haven't read this yet,it's a good place to start-

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html

Siobhan-

I've uses both the Arches and Fabriano hot pressed unsized with good results,the cold pressed and rough do better sized(at least for me).Cranes without sizing is a waste of time,imo.

Once I get my sizing solution mixed up,I coat a whole box of Cranes in less than 1 hr.(a little longer if I'm doing matt albumen)I dry them in the microwave as I'm coating,and put them back in the box-then I don't have to worry about sizing everytime I print.

Hi Siobhan,

coming from Cyanotype to VanDyke I felt, that VanDyke worked on nearly everthing (especially the papers, that didn't like Cyanotype).

For the Cyanotype reason (solution easily reacts with any chemical residue in the paper) I plan to only stock Arches Aquarelle (300g/100% cotton rag). Its available in grain torchon (I'd say to deep structured for any printing, but a matter of taste), grain fin (with VanDyke and similar shows a structured surface) satinee/hot pressed, nearly as smooth as copy paper and Platin, even a little more even, you get results nearly as even as with stock FB gelatine paper. Choose the surface considering your subject. Technical/architectural likes contrast but no structure, softer things like foliage landscapes or portraiture fits structure.

Id suggest you try the Cranes, the Arches is just easily available to me.

Have fun.

Martin

A paper that I like very much for van dyke, is St Armond 100% cotton rag, it is a hand made paper from montreal, CA. I really like the rough look of it. it is a fairly heavy paper, and it also works well with cyanotype.

As anyone will tell you it is all personal preference. In fact sometimes something that someone else likes, will be of no interest to you. Everything is dependant on your finished print. I think the best thing I ever did was to buy a sheet of several different papers at the local studio store and tried several very nice papers until if ound one that screamed at me...

- Dan Lovell

Was just doing some VanDyke prints earlier. Any paper will do as long as it's archival (if you want it to last a long time). It's how you want the image to project. Rougher surface - less detail, smoother surface - more detail. Play around with different types of paper. I sometimes coat brown paper bags or newspaper (not archival).

Hi Oliver, I don?t quite agree that any paper will do. I used some watercolor paper a while ago, I think it was Stonhenge ? not sure though ? and the VanDyke image would almost totally bleach out during and after processing.

I think I posted a question about this on this forum, and the consensus seemed to be that the sensitizing solution was reacting with some chemicals in the paper.

• 6 months later...