Preview of Panasonic L1 with Leica IS lens

Troll

This may be old news but you will also see this camera badged with the Leica label sometime soon. The price, of course, will be higher nut there will be enough avlue added items; longer warranty, larger card, extra software, to offset some of the cost differential.

Nothing there to deflect me from my intention to get a Digital M ... and I can't believe the Japanese do print the name Panasonic on the new lens' barrel, I won't be surprised to see they put on some comic stickers when that darn things actually ships. LOL

All this hand-wringing over digital this and that (cameras, scanners, storage, formats, manipulation, printers, archival issues) instead of developing your own film and setting up a traditional darkroom which is actually not that difficult, troublesome or expensive.

I'll repeat my usual mantra - FILM RULES! (particularly B&W film)

Maybe the Leica variant will have a pull-out, twistable LCD VF but I doubt it.

The RRP is quoted as 1999 dollars (for the Panasonic L1 + 14-50mm lens) and that gets a D200 + 18-70mm AF-S at B&H.

I think it will have a tough time against the Olympus 330 and the established DSLR designs especially now Sony (with Zeiss on board) are coming to market with their own re-jigged Minolta (Alpha) mount 10mp DSLR with built in image stabilisor and self 'dusting' sensor for $899 body only and a huge choice of lenses.

Ben, this was legitimately posted under Leica Digital because it is a digital camera with a Leica lens that Leica will undoubdtedly do their own badged version of as well.

People who want a darkroom will post under a different category.

Ben, a quick look at your last few responses to Leica M8 (Digital M) threads show your 'needle' is stuck on just saying.. "Film Rules"

What does that have to contribute to legitimate 'Leica Digital' or 'Leica in a digital world' category threads?

Do you own and use a Leica? I use an M6 and scan the negs and dont want a darkroom and I use a DSLR. Should I just bleat 'Scanners rule' or 'digital rules' in inappropriate subject threads?

The fact that it has a swinging mirror for a viewfinder is a deal killer for me. I'd rather have a detailed EVF with a really good refresh rate than a SLR. The lens does look nice though.

Unless Leica will paint their own copies of the Panasonic lens ... I highly doubt the camera will get a rebadge.

When did you guys see an OEM subcontractor painting their own trademarks on a wanna-be-Leica? ... even the C Lux ... now this crap has all the cheap monikers LUMIX, Mega.O.I.S. Panasonic everywhere on it.

Ohh this is good!

" During AF the Live View is blacked out * and returns when the camera has achieved a focus lock or has given up trying, this can take between 0.7 seconds (good light easy subject) and 5.0 seconds (to give up when it can't lock). "

Sounds like a winner to me..

Yaron, some of the facts pointed out above based on which some people appear to express their lack of enthusiasm for the product are unlikely to change with the production model review. Maybe it's time you looked up the definition of "bashing".

Yaron:

You think Panasonic will attach the LCD to a pivoting joint for the release version? Do you think they will dramatically improve how the AF works with the Live Preview? Gimme a break... Even if there is a slight possibility that they will make changes, how do you suppose they know which changes to make if people don't complain? Gimme a break.

This is a pricey camera, with the Leica version even more expensive. It should be better than this.

Bummer. I'd hoped for better and I do believe the review on the important points.

I can't imagine buying one of these things (or D200 or 30D) in view of the new Sony (a non-trash Minolta...what a concept!).