about raw images (sharpening and other changes)

I am in the process of shifting to digital. Please can someone answer these

questions.

I have heard, that I have to sharpen raw images.

Is the raw image not sharp ? which tool to use for sharpening ?

How do I know how much to sharpen ?

What are the other changes I have to make on a raw image taken from a canon 5d

camera? Under which menu bars will I find the links to make the changes.

Thank You

Child Photographer!

For a child, you are certainly asking some difficult questions! So, here are sone debateable answers.

You do not have to sharpen raw images, but you should as when done properly, it makes a better photograph. Sharpening should be the last thing you do to your photo before you re-save it under a DIFFERENT name.

Most people use Unsharp Mask, assuming that you are using Photoshop. However, there are many sharpening programs out there with differently levels of sophistication.

How much to sharpen? Good question! It depends on the photograph, its size, what you like visually....lots of things. You just have to play around with it. Some photos may require sharping in just one area, like around the eyes.

Other changes might include exposure, brightness etc. I would suggest two very good websites for you that have helped a lot of people with digital photography.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

http://luminous-landscape.com/

Best of luck,

Rob

You might be best served to start out shooting JPG. The 5D has settable parameters for sharpness and picture style.

If you use PS's ACR to convert RAW, set sharpness on the advanced tab to ZERO, and use the 'USM'filter in PS to sharpen images for web display or print.

Allocate several months of spare time for learning Photoshop (aka PS), and buy one of Fraser and Blatner's PS books.

There's a huge amount you need to learn, but it's worth it!

If you are going to use CS2, you will have some very good sharpening at your fingertips.

Shooting jpg can be a good start, not having to go through camera raw is one less thing to do and you can spend a little more time learning some of the other CS2 features, such as sharpening. However, you can do a lot more with RAW than jpg, and should consider changing to RAW as soon as you can.

As for how much sharpening do you need, you need as much as it takes to get the image you want, it's entirely subjective.

I think the best way to learn is to play (it's called experience by some). So shoot lots and experiment with PS to see what works for you.

When you meet problems, look in the manual and ask a question here.

My 2p.

P

Sharpening will help digital images. However, there are a lot of people who aren't using good lenses, aren't using good technique, or a combination of the two, and go around shouting about how heavy sharpening is required, worrying about if a 37-stage sharpening techniques can get them better results than a 25-stage technique, and other wastes of time.

If it takes more than just a reasonable amount of sharpening, then you're probably better off looking at why you're not capturing a good image to start with.

steve

Steven is right on. Start with good technique to get a good sharp image. Because of the anti-aliasing filters, many digital images do require some degree of sharpening at output. If you shoot JPEG and sharpern in camera, you are stuck with the result. This is unnecessary. Shoot RAW and sharpen to taste with PS or ACR. You can do localized sharpening during your edit, and then generalized sharpening if needed as your final step prior to output. PS includes unsharp mask and smart sharpen. In addition, there ar several plug-ins available.

Most RAW software packages have a fuction where you can sharpen your image automatically. You have to be careful using it though or you might get some noise. The sharpening tool works around the edges of the main subject by creating an illusion around the edges of the main subject in the photograph. From experience I can say the work so-so, your best bet is to use a tripod...

I recommend you get 'Canon Digital Photo Professional' - if you don't have it already. It is Canon's own RAW converter and has a number of presets which are very good. A certain amount of sharpening is applied automatically too. As a beginner, this might at least get you off to a good start or even prove satisfying as your skill increases.

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/dpp2/index.html

Maybe a little late to post to this thread, but consider:

If you get a 5D, and PS, add a few bucks and get some "L" lenses. Trust me, is makes all pictures free from wanting to sharpen it. RAW is as sharp as the picture the CMOS see, wich is to say, just as sharp as your lens is.

Then - (and this is important) LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH RAW! Yes, I did yell that. The 5D is an awsome camera, and with what you are paying for it, it would be a waist of it's cost if you do not use it to it's full potential. Wich is a lot. Learning your equipment is the biggest time-saver you can invest in. You can tinker with jpg, but one you get profound in RAW, you will not be able to understand how you ever worked without it.

• 1 month later...
when you buy the camera, you will recieve a program to process your RAW files. when you select your image and decide to edit, you will have a 'sharpening' option. Depending on the look you're going for, the sharpening tool will only give your image a 'digital' feel- where as if you leave it unsharpened you will get a 100 ISO feel- or whatever iso you shot at.