South bay Calypso

I have been going to Calypso in Santa Clara, California the last couple of years

to do my film developing either E-6 or C-41. I like Calypso and I like their

services.

But starting 6/1/06, they are no longer doing c-41 and you have to have an

account with them. if you don't have an account with them, they will charge you

a minimum of $15 for any services. Well, I just don't shoot as much to have an

account with them. Sometime I got just 1 roll of 120 but I can not process

there because of their new policy unless I pay $15 buck for a $4 film process.

If you go to their website, they haven't update their webpage. if you call

them, they will tell you.

Does any body know of any other places in the South Bay around San Jose, Santa

Clara, Sunnyvale CA, ETC that do film processing?

I know about San Francisco Newlab, Robin, Chromework and other labs there but I

am not interested in that area. I am just interest in the South Bay.

Thanks

One approach is to bear with them. Volumes are down at pro photo labs all over the place. They're just trying to stay in business.

But, if you need C-41, that is a problem. They must really be oriented towards commercial (rather than wedding) work to drop C-41 instead of E-6.

<p>That's a pretty icky policy. It's really too bad because I've spent the past few months successfully convincing people to shoot film again.</p>

<p>I do know that the lab most convenient to me, <A href="http://www.thedarkroom.com">The Darkroom</a> in San Carlos, still does E-6 and C-41 with no problems. They are a buck or two more expensive per roll than Calypso, if I remember correctly, but they have yet to do anything wrong.</p>

<p>It looks like <A href="http://www.swanphotolabs.com/">Swan Photo Labs</a> has spent the past year expanding, because they suddenly seem to be doing the developing for and/or owning quite a few places in the area, including the Darkroom. The Darkroom used to send stuff out to Newlab, but now they send it to the main Swan lab down south. The only thing I've noticed is that imprinting is cheaper and I like the Swan boxes for 35mm slides more.</p>

<p>So I can vouch for the Darkroom not sucking, and if San Carlos is too far north, you may want to try out one of the other Swan labs, but I can't vouch for them as easily.</p>

I just had 10 4x5 E6 processed by Calypso. I have used them for several years. I gave them

my credit card number (on file) so I have a basic account. They only charged me for the

processing and UPS shipping. For C41 I used the Tetanol/JOBO press kit which worked great

for my 35mm. I use a JOBO processor.

• 9 months later...
Calypso has recently moved to Santa Cruz. But they have a drop off neaby their former place of business. I recently sent them 7 rolls of E6 for processing and they underexposed them all by 1-2 stops effectively ruining them. They called me and told me what had happened. After they shipped me the developed film I confirmed all of it had been underexposed but was still salvageable. They refunded me the cost of the film and offered to scan the slides upon request for free.