Leica 50/2.8 sm vs CV 50/2.5

jason_b.

I want to get a 50 for my IIIF and am unsure of what I'd like best. I like how small the 50/2.8 elmar is, but

it's hard to find one without internal haze. Is the CV 50/2.5 as good as the old elmar? How to they both do

against the light? I have a 50/2 nikkor which is a great lens, but its really big and really heavy. I will still

use it, but would like something smaller and lighter.

I'd go for the CV 50/2.5 based on the extra speed and closer minimum focus (assuming the camera's RF can be set for closer focus than 1 m). Neither lens is as sharp or contrasty as some other 50's out there but a modern 50 in LTM will either be too costly or too large. A Canon 50/1.8 is a good choice but a little bigger than the Elmar or CV 50/2.5. Optically the best is the CV 50/3.5 Heliar but expenvive and hard to come by.

My IIIF doesn't go closer than 1m, so no difference there. The 2.8 elmar gets pretty small

when collapsed no? The 3.5 elmar would be great, but I'm a UV filter user, so no go - can't

get at the aperture with a filter over the thing. Also, 3.5 is a bit too slow for me.

Jason - The filter problem is not an issue if you use a "slip-on" filter adaptor. For years I have used a Series VI adaptor on my 50/3.5 Elmar and it is very easy to slip off the adaptor-filter-shade assembly, reset the aperture, and slip the assembly back in place. On the knurled rim of the Elmar, there is very little danger of scratching the lens mount.

I have found several SOOGZ's for the neighborhood of twenty bucks, but I would consider them a bargain at fifty. I also found a small Tiffen UV that screws into the lens bezel and permits access to the aperture control. There is no good reason to feel inconvenienced with the 36mm flange when it can be adapted to employ E39 filters and hoods.

When I shoot, I do things in a hurry, and don't want to have to be pulling things on and off

my lenses. granted a IIIF isn't a speedy camera to use as it is, but I'd rather stick with

somthing a little simpler. That said I know the 3.5s are great lenses, and I'd like to try one

out someday, just not yet. Back to 50/2.5 vs 2.8 optics?

James I have the 50 skopar lens and for the size it seems to be a little heavy. The lens is small and takes the modern size 39mm uv filter and comes with a small round shade. Another lens to chose is the 40 mm sonnar and is a little identical to the 50 skopar. Both will accept the voigtlander square shade too. The sm 50 elmar I can not speak for but using the 50 skopar will not disappoint you. I would think the 50 skopar is lighter than your nikkor lens.

• 2 years later...
You can find the itty bitty screw in filters for the Elmar 50 3.5. They are usually sold in sets of yellow, blue and green on ebay for around $25. They are the same size (19mm I think) as the Argus C3 filters. Then you can get to the aperture w/o any problems. Ok, getting to the aperture on any Elmar is not fun, w/ or w/o filters. Put a hood on it and it is really difficult unless you go w/ the extremely ugly and pricey Leica hood that has the aperture control on it. All of the collapsible lenses are a pain to set the apertures on because the focus wants to turn when you reset the aperture.