just now. Anyway, they came with these special marking pens. I used one

several weeks ago when I moved 4 CD's worth of images. The markers worked

fine. This evening I moved two more sets of images to CDs and found that the

marker pens don't seem to work well at all. They write ok, but there was

hardly any real black to them.

My question is, is it that awful to label the CDs with a regular "Sharpie"

marker? Is there really that much that the marker could do to one of these

Archival Gold CDs in 25 years??

I'd appreciate any assistance and advice.

Thank you!

*When* I label cd/dvd's,I write only in the clear central area, where data is not written, per Ilkka. With important archive disks, I write nothing, period, just rely on the label on the sleeves I store them in, and handle them one at a time. If I were to get them mixed up, each disk has an electronic title, and the content is readily apparent.

Really, after the time & money invested, why gamble?

Yes, that would be safer still. But the centre hole is about 10 mm away from the area where data is written and I just can't see how anything could migrate so far. At least in my discs the plastic is clear, with no coating, in that place. The hole is used to hold the disc in place in the drive. No pen can destroy that functionality. So I think I am still quite safe, and have no fear of misplaced disc or mistaking one for unused.

Ilkka, I didn't mean to infer there would be any problem writing in the clear space. I guess I just wanted to pose the question: do you need to write anything, or is the label on the container sufficient?

For me, I have a large quantity of disks involved in my scan archives, and two copies of each, so decided not labelling on the disk just saved some time and kept my sweaty paws away from the disks more.

BTW, have you seen that movie "Little Miss Sunshine"? My scanner is getting to be like the VW Microbus in that movie: having minor breakdowns, but still running. It just now decided to lock up if I try to scan frame 2 with the slide holder. So now I just run the holder into frame 4, and swap slides in and out of the open ended holder, essentially making it a one-at-a-time slide scanner, similar to a Nikon. I'm about two thirds through my collection, anyway, and hoping it will make it to the end. Cheers!