Need clarification about 2x3 Crown/Century Graphics

josphy

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a 2x3 Crown or Century Graphic to use for

6x7 and 6x9. One thing I'm wondering about is how I can tell just by looking

which cameras have the graflok back (and which have the graphic backs, so I can

avoid those)? I'd like to learn to identify these just by looks because a lot

of times sellers on ebay don't know what they have.

Also, do you guys confirm that the Mamiya RB67 backs fit on the 2x3 graflok back

cameras? They certainly seem more plentiful than the "22" and "23" rollfilm holders.

I'm going to attach a photo -- is that the graflok back?<div>00Gmfo-30336084.jpg.413bdfcdd86f98b7db841337dda036f8.jpg</div>

Graflok=sliding lock bars top and bottom of holder, focus panel will have chrome spring arms with a knurled edge that when pressed down on will allow the focus panel to slide off.<br>

Graphic=standard spring back, spring at top and bottom of focus panel.<br>

Graflex=solid bar on bottom and sliding lock bar on top, very rare on 2x3's.<br>

Camera you posted a picture of is a Pacemaker Crown. Pacemaker Speed will have a focal plane shutter at rear of camera body. Pacemakers have the body shutter release on the lower right side from shooting position. Century Graphic is made of Mahognite (bakalite). Minature Speed will have a spring back only unless modified by someone and they look like the Anniversary Speed.

The Century has an integral Graflok back. If you get a Century you can't avoid getting a Graflok.

If you get a 2x3 Crown with a Graphic (= spring) back, all is not lost. Three solutions.

Get a scrap 2x3 Crown or Speed or a Mini with a Graflok and swap backs. Probably more expensive, even if you resell the scrap camera with the spring back, than buying right in the first place.

Shoot 2x3, use an Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder, which slips in like a sheet film holder. Not everyone likes AAR 620s. They'll do 6x7, but not gracefully.

Sell the mistake and buy right.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Thanks! I appreciate all of the information. I know a lot of people will say go straight to 4x5 or larger, but I'd kind of like to just get my feet wet in terms of using a camera that has ground glass and movements (albeit limited). In addition, I'd kind of like to get an RB67 at some point anyway, so using a camera that can use the same back would also be beneficial.

• 1 year later...

Kalart Focuspot. A small light that is powered by the flash unit. Not sure what voltage it takes. Anyway, it is used for focusing in poor light.

The Focuspot sends a beam of light through each of the RF windows towards the subject. If the RF is set up correctly for the lens being used, the two beams will coincide, and you'll see just one spot on the subject, when the lens is focused on the subject.