TriX plus Xtol 1+1: a small test

bruno

Hi all,

after fighting against my own incompetence in the darkroom, finding

how I had to switch from grade 0.5 to grade 4 paper in a single

printing session wasting time, money and patience, I decided to commit

to the zone System and did the following film-speed test:

1. took a "blank" frame of TriX (35 mm, the "new" one), exposed at 400

and developed in Xtol 1+1 and put it in the enlarger.

2. exposed a test strip to find the shortest time that could give me

the maximum density (Zone 0) reachable by the paper (in the case, Agfa

MCP 312) with filter n. 2. Wrote down the time (call it t0, for brevity)

3. set up a scene with nikon 18% reflector and spot-metered. Cross

checked with an incident light meter. The scene contained also Zone

III and below shadows.

4. Started varying exposure on a whole roll, so that I could have an

equivalent setting from 800 to 100 ASA.

5. Developed the roll (alone in 500 ml Xtol 1+1), 8 minutes at 22 C. 1

minute initial agitation. Then 10" every minute. Stop, fix and wash.

6. Let the film dry, then put it into the enlarger and exposed each

frame for t0. Same f setting, of course :)

7. Searched for the picture with most shadow detail.

It looks like, the film performs best at 250 ASA (or maybe 200, but

it's just personal taste I guess). I didn't try to correct, yet, the

developing time, although the 250 ASA frame, puts the gray card on

Zone V1/2 (circa) and keeps a sheet of white paper with some sketches

on it on a pleasant Zone VIII. If shorter developing time is needed,

then I guess is for not more than 15%.

- - - - - -

It's quite a simple test to perform, and it doesn't take more than a

couple of hours (except the time to wait for the film to dry).

- - - - - -

I'll try the same also with Xtol in full strength, to see how shadow

detail is affected from different solution strength. Has anyone

already performed this kind of test with TriX, would be interesting to

compare the results.

- - - - - -

By the way: has anyone had any difference in processing one or two

rolls in a two-rolls-tank with Xtol 1+1 or ID11/D76 1+1. Just

wondering if developer exhaustion might be an issue or not. I just

don't want to waste other two rolls and two hours :)

- - - - - -

I know that these tests are usually meaningful for one only

camera/film/developer/enlarger/paper combination... nevertheless I

thought someone might find this of interest.

Have a nice day,

b.

Hey Bruno, you are to be commended as a considerable thinker. Sounds to me like you are headed in the right direction to being very competent....keep at it, love to see someone such as you trying to find out what's going on....all the best....Jim

With Xtol you need a min of 100ml of developer, so 1:1 would give you a total of 200ml, so for 2 rolls you get 400ml. There "should" be no difference in processing 2 rolls in your set up. Just remember to use the stuff one shot, and dillute the Xtol just before use.

My tests showed that using XTOL straight will give you finer grain and less edge sharpness. I use Tri-X and it looks much better in XTOL 1:1 than straight. I also found that D-76 1:1 (the unofficial world standard) falls between the two. Do make sure to have at least 100ml of XTOL stock per 135/36 (or 120) roll, or you risk underdevelopment from developer exhaustion.

Thanks a lot Mark, did you notice any difference in film speed between the two? My impression (around 50 developed rolls in Xtol straight, 10 in 1+1) is that 1+1 gives less film speed... but the light was so different that I cannot tell... and curiously is the opposite of what Kodak claims in the technical publications.

Alexis: gosh, and I was hoping for a free Grateful Dead or Dylan print! No, just a joke, I've seen your gallery, and I think your work is very fine. Didn't know you did also development, a reason more to take your suggestion in high consideration.

My prints are million miles behind yours...

I've developed a lot of Tri-X in Xtol 1:3 and it works fine with 75ml of stock Xtol - i.e. my tank takes 300ml of liquid per film.

Other films, such as Tmax 100, _don't_ work at this dilution/amount of developer, but Tri-X and FP4 (the films I use most) are fine.

I scan with a Nikon Coolscan V rather than print through an enlarger.

Steve, you're missing the best by scanning. I scan a lot, I admit... but when printed those test photos... straight print on contrast 2 paper, no dodging, no burning... and then scanned the negatives, I realized how much work there is to do to get the same richness of tones.

"...The choice between 200 and 250 might be based on results you get in the field...you'll just have to see what kind of shadow detail you're getting. If you shooting at 250 and need some more shadow detail, drop to 200 and see what happens..."

Precisely, how do you do that? I don't have a clue.

Please advise.

You need a camera that can set shutter speeds or aperture values with 1/3 stop increment...

...in my case I set the ISO speed of the camera to 250, and the aperture/speed combination will be selected accordingly. If you set an ISO of 200, this should increase the time of 1/3 of a stop, in your case it should be 200/f16.

If not available, move to the closest value (which is 250).

If you're shooting at 250, when you should be shooting at 200, you are effectively

underexposing your film. This will yield shadows that are too dark, i.e., less shadow detail

than desired. Lowering your ISO 200, and placing shadows in Zone III (for example) should

then yield shadows with better detail.

To put this differently, reducing the ISO to 200 (from 250, in the case of this example) will

increase negative density (for a given exposure setting), thereby resulting in better shadow

detail.

In a nutshell, you are trying to determine the film speed-development time combination

that will yield a negative with good shadow detail AND good highlight detail (highlights

that are not blown out). On those occassions when you want to either blow out your

highlights, or just increase contrast (raise the "value" of highlights), you increase your

development time. On those occassions when you want to reduce contrast (i.e., lower the

value of the highlights), you reduce development time. In either case, the ISO setting is the

same, and shadow details should not be affected too much by the change in development

time.

Attached is an image that, while not anything to write home about, that has a fairly wide

range of tones. It was taken with a Mamiya 7 using Ilford FP4+ rated at ISO 64. It was

developed using full-strength Xtol in a Jobo (7 minutes, 68F/20C, rotation speed set to 3).